Vermont MD/PhD Program is dead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GliaGirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got this email about my upcoming md/phd interview at the University of Vermont... bummer:

"Dear MD-PhD Applicants:

We would like to provide you with some important updated information concerning your scheduled MD-PhD interview at the University of Vermont College of Medicine.

Due to very recent and unpredicted budget cuts from the State of Vermont, our ability to promise full funding of the MD portion of the program has been greatly impaired. We are not able, at this time, to state with any certainty that that ability will be restored in the near future.

Despite these difficulties, we invite you to interview for our MD program. In addition, if you remain interested in obtaining a PhD degree, you have the option of applying through our Graduate College at the University of Vermont.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but the surrounding events were beyond our control."

That is really a pity. Does anyone know if this is happening elsewhere as well?

Members don't see this ad.

2425075811_8888ed38b7.jpg

Budget cuts in the state of Vermont seem to have forced the closure of both the highway patrol station AND the MD/PhD program.

This happened to a friend of mine too. He was applying to a school i think it was in SC and had an interview scheduled but then they sent him an email saying the program had died and he was like :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
woah, that's scary stuff..

and how can Vermont continue to function without its highway patrol!?!

Neuronix was referencing the wonderful movie Supertroopers (their highway patrol is not being shutdown)... kinda sucks when the MD/PhD program is on the list of unnecessary programs.

That sucks. They called me about 2 weeks ago to tell me to send out a non-science letter of recommendation, so I assumed they are very interested and they could send me an interview invite.

I'm from right across the lake (SUNY Plattsburgh) and we've seen budget cuts and tuition hikes across the boards. I spoke with a few professors about it and even our small master's programs are being trimmed back considerably.

I had an interview scheduled at UVM, too.

It is a huge bummer that they have decided to do this, but it must mean that there are some massive financial problems higher up in the pipeline at UVM...

super_troopers_0011.jpg

The Vermont highway patrolman who pulled me over when I was there did not like it very much when I did this.

I had an interview there too. It really stinks because I was going to go visit a friend of mine and do some skiing.

Yeah, it does stink that they are canning their program. However, I think that part of it might be that the school is so expensive to go to out of state. tuition+stipend=lots of money

Who wants to have a syrup chugging contest?

It really stinks because I was going to go visit a friend of mine and do some skiing.

Exactly! I was excited to visit a friend for some skiing while I was there (and the school is nice too... :p).