very angry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the dat last year and made a 21/20/15 TS/AA/PAT

i signed up to retake the dat this july and went ahead and selected all 23 schools to send my scores to and just now realized that what if i make worse scores the 2nd time?? i just found out that some schools only look at your most recent scores.

I called ada to see if i could take some of these schools off the list or get a refund b/c i realized i prob should just have my old scores sent to schools now & wait to send the new scores if i do better. the guy told me i can't take it back or even get a refund if i choose not to take the dat a 2nd time at all. what would you guys do in this situation?? i feel like such an idiot!

Members don't see this ad.

i also took it a second time (even a third) and I improved every time. I also had accidently sent the scores to a school twice! but could not get a refund @*$^@#

but that's their policy, no refunds

I suggest you study your *** off. you know how the test is set up now. keep up the 20 and 21 but definitely improve that 15 on the PAT

Ouch. Depending on whether or not schools have a minimum score requirement in each section, you may have to end up retaking it anyways. That's tough since you really have great scores (ignoring the the 15).

Members don't see this ad :)
I signed up to take the DAT for a second time because I knew I could do better...then I got accepted so that money just went out the door.

I signed up to take the DAT for a second time because I knew I could do better...then I got accepted so that money just went out the door.

Wow, poor you getting accepted. Don't you wish you were rejected and had to go through the luxury of studying for those months?
;)

i hate how all these organizations and schools just want to get as much money as they can from applicants. they really should have a better policy of giving people refunds. oh well, i guess the best i can do know is to study my *** off and hope not to go down in any section.

Wow, poor you getting accepted. Don't you wish you were rejected and had to go through the luxury of studying for those months?
;)

haha..no...i am THRILLED to be accepted. I'd pay for it again as long as I was accepted.

i hate how all these organizations and schools just want to get as much money as they can from applicants. they really should have a better policy of giving people refunds. oh well, i guess the best i can do know is to study my *** off and hope not to go down in any section.
I can't agree more!!!. I am also very angry at stupid extra-prerequisites. I was reading at the Minnesota website, and if your native language isn't english you have to take the TOEFL, no matter if you earn at Baccalaureate here in U.S., wHAT ****.... Probably my english isn't the best or at the level of someone who grow up in here, but come on, if I took higher level science classes at a state university here in the U.S., don't you think my english is at a higher level than a stupid TOEFL test. I mean what a waste of time and money (the test costs $150) I wish I would have known this before adding them into my AADSAS application :mad:

If you've lived in the states for a while, TOEFL will be a breeze. An easy test to take. Don't be crying over the hassle of taking it and costing you only $150. Besides now is a bad time to find out. You should have done your homework earlier. :rolleyes:

I'm going to register for DAT today. Do you recommand that I only choose 5 for now and if I get a good score then go back and request to send the score to more schools? (This is my first time, so I have no clue how it goes regarding selecting schools which will receive the scores).

How did you do it?

i took the dat last year and made a 21/20/15 TS/AA/PAT

i signed up to retake the dat this july and went ahead and selected all 23 schools to send my scores to and just now realized that what if i make worse scores the 2nd time?? i just found out that some schools only look at your most recent scores.

I called ada to see if i could take some of these schools off the list or get a refund b/c i realized i prob should just have my old scores sent to schools now & wait to send the new scores if i do better. the guy told me i can't take it back or even get a refund if i choose not to take the dat a 2nd time at all. what would you guys do in this situation?? i feel like such an idiot!

Sk, wish I would have gotten a hold of you earlier. This is the precise reason when I scheduled a 2nd try of the DAT I didn't put any school choices. I never ended up taking them because I got in before I had to and no schools ever found out. You are in a tricky situation but you do need to bring up the PAT score. Even if you get 20s and a higher PAT score I think it would still look better than a 15 PAT. Just my opinion though.

Sk, wish I would have gotten a hold of you earlier. This is the precise reason when I scheduled a 2nd try of the DAT I didn't put any school choices. I never ended up taking them because I got in before I had to and no schools ever found out. You are in a tricky situation but you do need to bring up the PAT score. Even if you get 20s and a higher PAT score I think it would still look better than a 15 PAT. Just my opinion though.

I know! I wish I consulted SDN before going ahead and having my scores sent out to schools for the 2nd dat. I feel so screwed and it really puts the pressure on to do really well now. Do you think I will be ok? Is it possible to go way down in a section? I just hope I can study enough as last time & bring up that PAT.

I know! I wish I consulted SDN before going ahead and having my scores sent out to schools for the 2nd dat. I feel so screwed and it really puts the pressure on to do really well now. Do you think I will be ok? Is it possible to go way down in a section? I just hope I can study enough as last time & bring up that PAT.

Anything is POSSIBLE, including dropping way down in a section but here is my thinking. First, if you did well the first time, you will likely do well the second time. The questions are largely just variations and it sounds like you knew it pretty well. Second, there isn't anything you can do about it now and I honestly do think it would be good to bring up that PAT score. I figure when things like this happen to me... whatever is meant to happen will happen...and so far in my life, it has all been for the better in one way or another, good or bad. That said, you will likely do well. If you have a good GPA you should be set. Good luck to you and don't worry about this at all. I think you are making a bigger deal out of it than it should be. ;)

Anything is POSSIBLE, including dropping way down in a section but here is my thinking. First, if you did well the first time, you will likely do well the second time. The questions are largely just variations and it sounds like you knew it pretty well. Second, there isn't anything you can do about it now and I honestly do think it would be good to bring up that PAT score. I figure when things like this happen to me... whatever is meant to happen will happen...and so far in my life, it has all been for the better in one way or another, good or bad. That said, you will likely do well. If you have a good GPA you should be set. Good luck to you and don't worry about this at all. I think you are making a bigger deal out of it than it should be. ;)

Thanks SugarNaCl. That's the kind of support I needed and yea I do tend to make a bigger deal out of stuff than usual. I will try my best to not worry! Good luck to you as well at VCU- I hear it's a great school! :)