Very confused-Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying to prelim year programs and I am quite confused by what's happening. I have received some offers from excellent programs that I've applied to, yet I haven't heard from quite a few programs. I called up a few, and for some, I am waitlisted since my application was somewhat late. i called about another one I hadn't heard about and the constantly irritated secretary told me that the selection committee had decided not to give me an interview. i was surprised! I have great qualifications and when I looked at the hospital's website, about 90% of their residents are FMG's!!!! What's the deal? Why would they not even want to interview someone who is an American grad, with excellent grades and another graduate degree over FMG's?! Am i missing something?

why are good programs saying yes but crappy programs not interviewing me? I also don't understand why they would not even send a notice. Aren't all programs supposed to send some sort of notification?

Members don't see this ad.

It could be a matter of 'fit' for the program. What's the likelihood that you'd highly rank a program that mostly fills with FMG's? That program probably wants to interview people that they think might realistically match there.

And not all programs sent out rejections. There are some silent rejections. Not terribly courteous, but definitely done.

So I am applying to prelim year programs and I am quite confused by what's happening. I have received some offers from excellent programs that I've applied to, yet I haven't heard from quite a few programs. I called up a few, and for some, I am waitlisted since my application was somewhat late. i called about another one I hadn't heard about and the constantly irritated secretary told me that the selection committee had decided not to give me an interview. i was surprised! I have great qualifications and when I looked at the hospital's website, about 90% of their residents are FMG's!!!! What's the deal? Why would they not even want to interview someone who is an American grad, with excellent grades and another graduate degree over FMG's?! Am i missing something?

why are good programs saying yes but crappy programs not interviewing me? I also don't understand why they would not even send a notice. Aren't all programs supposed to send some sort of notification?

Maybe you are too humble for them, perhaps if you call them up and tell them how great your qualifications are it will help.

Were those categoricals or prelims? Because the two are *very* different. At many community programs that are "cush" or in good locaitons, the categoricals will be mostly FMG/carrib with the prelims matched to hopkins derm and some such.

I get rejected from a prelim program pretty much daily. Hard on the ego.

Agree with above.
Prelim spots can be more competitive than categorical. If the categoricals are mostly IMG's but the prelims mostly are US grads who matched into radiology and derm, it might be hard to get a prelim spot.

Also, sometimes programs won't interview folks they don't think will go there. So if you are AOA at Harvard and apply to Podunk Community Hospital, they are gonna wonder why the hell you did that and maybe assume you wouldn't rank them anyway, so why would they want to waste an interview spot on you?

In general do not take rejections personally. You should only worry if it looks like you aren't going to get any prelim spot - that would be bad.