very confused and frustrated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vpannu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am a 4th year who will be getting a BS in Business administration from University of the Pacific.

I am very confused as planning my route to get into a Caribbean Med school (top four).

Overall Gpa: 2.89
Pre-req's
Bio c, c- (freshman year, slacked off)
Chem c, c (i never can grasp chemistry)
Stats B
Calc C
Physics A, A-
English B, B

O chem i am taking right now. Its a rigorous 9 week program that completes a years worth of O chem in nine weeks. So far I have a C, and C- and am completing the third qtr. right now.

Electives: helping the less fortunate of the communtiy find jobs through hosting job fairs, Church volunteering, resident assistant, 1 year of research in Parisitology, will start volunteering at a hospital in September and job shadowing my uncle on the weekends (graduate from ross and works in EM).

I plan on just finishing up my degree this year and taking biochem, genetics, and physio at San Francisco State. Then taking the MCATs.

I don't know, is this is a good plan of attack? That'd be great if someone could advise me as to if what I am doing is right. How can I be a more competitive applicant? Should I retake any other classes? Should I take more upper division Bio classes? Should I join a post bacc program at SF State? Please help me I am at the end of my nerves dealing with this constant frustration.

Thank You, I appreciate it.
Vinny

Members don't see this ad.

vpannu said:
Hello, i am a 4th year who will be getting a BS in Business administration from University of the Pacific.

I am very confused as planning my route to get into a Caribbean Med school (top four).

Pre-req's
Stats B
Calc C
Physics A, A-
English B, B

O chem i am taking right now. Its a rigorous 9 week program that completes a years worth of O chem in nine weeks. So far I have a C, and C- and am completing the third qtr. right now.

Electives: helping the less fortunate of the communtiy find jobs through hosting job fairs, Church volunteering, resident assistant, 1 year of research in Parisitology, will start volunteering at a hospital in September and job shadowing my uncle on the weekends (graduate from ross and works in EM).

I plan on just finishing up my degree this year and taking biochem, genetics, and physio at San Francisco State. Then taking the MCATs.

I don't know, is this is a good plan of attack? That'd be great if someone could advise me as to if what I am doing is right. How can I be a more competitive applicant? Should I retake any other classes? Should I take more upper division Bio classes? Should I join a post bacc program at SF State? Please help me I am at the end of my nerves dealing with this constant frustration.

Vinny

Well there are a couple of options... my grades look similar to yours and my electives as well(My brother is a grad of SGU). I have a 2.98 gpa and taking the MCATS next week, I'm going to start applying for the Fall '07.

Here are some options, you can apply for the Mph program they have at some school's, I know for st. george they let you in pretty generously(Couple of my friends are doing it, one had a 2.5 gpa and 25 mcat, the other had a 2.7 23 mcat). You have a to maintain a 3.5 gpa the first year of the MPh, and after you go to the MD. You graduate with a dual MD/MPh degree.

In your situation I see that your going to take off a year, but I heard AUA(American University of Antigua) is growing rapidly(a lot of the good professors came from ross, including the director himself), and currently they don't require MCATs. They just got NY approved to do clinicals, and I've been hearing more and more good things about this school, which I'm going to apply too as well.

There's always the DO program, but personally I would much rather go for the MD.

You can do Postbacs to Improve your grades, just make sure you do well this year and pull your gpa above a 3.0 and get around a 25 and you should be a fine candidate for any of the big 4.

For me, I'm applying to Ross, SGU(I'm hoping since my brother went there it'll help me get in :rolleyes: ), AUC, and AUA.

Hope this helps

vpannu said:

Pre-req's
Stats B
Calc C
Physics A, A-
English B, B

Vinny

Yes good plan, the other poster mentioned AUA, they are not the "4th" school, SABA is. Don't know why they would choose a non 50 state school over a 50 state school but who knows? My school is not all 50 but I have my own reasons, that said to have the best future go to ROSS, SGU, AUC or Saba. They are the best of the caribbean, then there are the rest and a short list of the rest at that out of the 30 or so in the caribbean.

Good Luck and hang in there, do not do the undergrad crap programs finish in the states first, you will not regret it. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
heh, I know SABA is the 4th school, but I'm also mentioning AUA which is growing rapidly and giving him another option to choose from.

They don't really have a track record as of yet (grads and residencies matches), which makes it all the more surprising that they are approved by N.Y. This just goes to show the pull a group of big wigs can have on this sort of thing.

Here's a list of the "rest" if you're interested. MUA, SMU, AUA.

Good luck bro.