Very depressed~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zetabetazeta

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got my first biochemistry midterm back...and it was a "D".

I am trying to calm down and tell myself that everything is going to be ok, but I'm really emotionally disturbed. I want to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙁 Every time when I got a bad grade, I started to think too much. "Why is my life always about school, grades, work, high expectations, and pressure?"

Here are some facts that I know:

1. It's just a test, and as long as I try harder, I will be ok.
2. I studied really hard but still got bad grades.
3. I get anxious all the time, "If I get a D on this test, my final grade won't look good; if my final grade is bad, then my GPA is going to be lousy; if my GPA is lousy, I will not be able to get into medical school; if I don't get into medical school, ....."
4. I am a horrible whiner!

I will probably be fine by tomorrow (happens a lot), but I am just sooooooo sad right now. And I want to cry 🙁
 
Tis cool my man, I have a D+/C- in my calculus class right now. I was freaking out a couple of days ago but now I am chill. In your case you need to study more or need a tutor. Just get some help and see if your grades go up.
 
I'd say go ahead and cry, it'll make you feel better in the long run. You clearly have a rational understanding of the situation from the points that you made, but it's normal to be emotional after doing poorly on a test. Cry, scream, punch a pillow if you have to, and get all the bad emotions out. Then focus on how you're going to perform better on the next exam.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You put too much of yourself into this test. This test isn't a judgment of your character, don't let it define you.
 
I'd say go ahead and cry, it'll make you feel better in the long run. You clearly have a rational understanding of the situation from the points that you made, but it's normal to be emotional after doing poorly on a test. Cry, scream, punch a pillow if you have to, and get all the bad emotions out. Then focus on how you're going to perform better on the next exam.

Thanks. I feel a LITTLE BIT better now. 🙂
 
Tis cool my man, I have a D+/C- in my calculus class right now. I was freaking out a couple of days ago but now I am chill. In your case you need to study more or need a tutor. Just get some help and see if your grades go up.

I was like.."hmm, this guy sounds like a high schooler" (in a cute way), because I was pretty chill when I was in high school. I wish I could be like you, seriously, but now I am super uptight and paranoid. Poor me 🙁
 
cry, and then drop the course if its mathematically impossible to get 4.0

Yeah, GOOD IDEA, I will definitely DO that 🙄

P.S. By the way, you are such a genius, and I will be surprised if you don't make it into medical school, lol 🙄
 
Just try and relax. How did you do on your previous exams? How are you doing on the lab portion of the class? Do you know what your overall grade in the class is? Look, if you are doing poorly, freaking out about it won't help. You need to stop leting it effect you like this, or you're going to explode :boom:

If you have to retake the class it is not the end of the world. You will be ok. Just the fact that you are panicking like this shows that you really care and can pass this. Hang in there. 🙂
 
Just try and relax. How did you do on your previous exams? How are you doing on the lab portion of the class? Do you know what your overall grade in the class is? Look, if you are doing poorly, freaking out about it won't help. You need to stop leting it effect you like this, or you're going to explode :boom:

If you have to retake the class it is not the end of the world. You will be ok. Just the fact that you are panicking like this shows that you really care and can pass this. Hang in there. 🙂


Thank you. Actually I feel much better now =]. I don't think I need to retake this class though. I still have one more midterm and final. If I do really good on these two, I can still get an A- or even an A 😀

I'm just a little bit down at this moment, but I know I will be perfectly fine by tomorrow 🙂
 
3. I get anxious all the time, "If I get a D on this test, my final grade won't look good; if my final grade is bad, then my GPA is going to be lousy; if my GPA is lousy, I will not be able to get into medical school; if I don't get into medical school, ....."

lol, I do this too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't worry. I'm right there depressed with you. It doesn't look like I'm getting into a U.S. medical school again this year and I'm fairly sick, frustrated, annoyed and tired of it.
 
Don't worry. I'm right there depressed with you. It doesn't look like I'm getting into a U.S. medical school again this year and I'm fairly sick, frustrated, annoyed and tired of it.

Oh well, it's only November! And your stats look great! Just wait longer and see what happens =]
 
I got a "D" on my O Chem midterm before, but Ace'd the class in the end. You can do it too!

Was there a curve??
 
Don't worry. I'm right there depressed with you. It doesn't look like I'm getting into a U.S. medical school again this year and I'm fairly sick, frustrated, annoyed and tired of it.

Is this your second time applying? Maybe you should talk to some of the schools and see what direction they can recommend. Your MCAT is great and your GPA is good, maybe you need to have more leadership ECs, volunteering, some research?

How about your LORs? Do you think they came from the best people? Personal Statement? Are you a good interviewer?
 
Is this your second time applying? Maybe you should talk to some of the schools and see what direction they can recommend. Your MCAT is great and your GPA is good, maybe you need to have more leadership ECs, volunteering, some research?

How about your LORs? Do you think they came from the best people? Personal Statement? Are you a good interviewer?

I don't know if you can use the word "good" in this situation. Your MCAT is epic however, Im surprised no schools have overlooked your GPA because it's obvious Food is an intelligent guy.

How were your letters? Interview?
 
zetabetazeta! You commented on my post on a similar subject the other day! I am returning the favor haha

I am glad it will only take you a day to recover. It took me a long time to recover because not only did I fail, but most of the class got high B's. Plus because the course is moving really swiftly now and I am more confused than ever.

I say you take two days where you get home from class, do no more than the homework that's due the next day, and sleep early/watch a movie/cry into a pillow. Yes, cry. It's cathartic. I'm not ashamed to say I constantly worry about grades, and I do cry a lot. No, it's not healthy, but if we had a switch in our brains to turn off our anxiety, we would have done that a long time ago, right? Besides, if you try to keep all your worrying in, you're going to explode. So although being stressed is never healthy, I think taking it out on exercise, creative arts, cathartic crying/rest/movie-watching is better. I talk to my parents, sister, and my poor unfortunate suitemates about my worries all the time. If people love you, they will listen. Or at least pretend to.

I'm not sure if it's still possible to drop the course. It may be too late in the semester. But you said yourself that you can pull this up to an A- or an A!! So after your two days of moping, go throw yourself at the book, go talk to your professor, go to tutoring sessions, go to review sessions, find friends in your class and talk to them, google every concept you don't understand, sit in the front row, chew gum so you pay closer attention in class and tear the next exam apart!!

I haven't taken my next biochem midterm yet, but since my second B, I've done at least the last 4 things and have noticed that I am more focused during lecture and I understand the things we're going over right now.



By the way, remember that orgo fail I was freaking out about? I went to my prof today and talked about it. Just talked about it. He gave me honest advice on what I wasn't doing well and what I can do to improve. We talked about the unique way of thinking that orgo requires and had a nice convo. It didn't change my last exam grade, but it just made me feel a little better. So you might try that too.

Good luckkk! We will surviiiiive!
 
zetabetazeta! You commented on my post on a similar subject the other day! I am returning the favor haha

I am glad it will only take you a day to recover. It took me a long time to recover because not only did I fail, but most of the class got high B's. Plus because the course is moving really swiftly now and I am more confused than ever.

I say you take two days where you get home from class, do no more than the homework that's due the next day, and sleep early/watch a movie/cry into a pillow. Yes, cry. It's cathartic. I'm not ashamed to say I constantly worry about grades, and I do cry a lot. No, it's not healthy, but if we had a switch in our brains to turn off our anxiety, we would have done that a long time ago, right? Besides, if you try to keep all your worrying in, you're going to explode. So although being stressed is never healthy, I think taking it out on exercise, creative arts, cathartic crying/rest/movie-watching is better. I talk to my parents, sister, and my poor unfortunate suitemates about my worries all the time. If people love you, they will listen. Or at least pretend to.

I'm not sure if it's still possible to drop the course. It may be too late in the semester. But you said yourself that you can pull this up to an A- or an A!! So after your two days of moping, go throw yourself at the book, go talk to your professor, go to tutoring sessions, go to review sessions, find friends in your class and talk to them, google every concept you don't understand, sit in the front row, chew gum so you pay closer attention in class and tear the next exam apart!!

I haven't taken my next biochem midterm yet, but since my second B, I've done at least the last 4 things and have noticed that I am more focused during lecture and I understand the things we're going over right now.



By the way, remember that orgo fail I was freaking out about? I went to my prof today and talked about it. Just talked about it. He gave me honest advice on what I wasn't doing well and what I can do to improve. We talked about the unique way of thinking that orgo requires and had a nice convo. It didn't change my last exam grade, but it just made me feel a little better. So you might try that too.

Good luckkk! We will surviiiiive!

Youuuuuu are the BEST!!!!!! Thank you, I know we can do ittttttt! 😀
 
Cry, scream, punch a pillow if you have to, and get all the bad emotions out. Then focus on how you're going to perform better on the next exam.👍👍👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"If I get a D on this test, my final grade won't look good; if my final grade is bad, then my GPA is going to be lousy; if my GPA is lousy, I will not be able to get into medical school; if I don't get into medical school, ....."

This brings back so many memories. =P

It's clear you really want this, so I'm sure you'll learn the material better, do well on the next few exams, and salvage your grade. Especially since you'll be fine tomorrow (today, rather).

Good luck! 🙂
 
I just got my first biochemistry midterm back...and it was a "D".

I am trying to calm down and tell myself that everything is going to be ok, but I'm really emotionally disturbed. I want to SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙁 Every time when I got a bad grade, I started to think too much. "Why is my life always about school, grades, work, high expectations, and pressure?"

Here are some facts that I know:

1. It's just a test, and as long as I try harder, I will be ok.
2. I studied really hard but still got bad grades.
3. I get anxious all the time, "If I get a D on this test, my final grade won't look good; if my final grade is bad, then my GPA is going to be lousy; if my GPA is lousy, I will not be able to get into medical school; if I don't get into medical school, ....."
4. I am a horrible whiner!

I will probably be fine by tomorrow (happens a lot), but I am just sooooooo sad right now. And I want to cry 🙁

How about this one? "If I get my rear into the professor's office and get some help, I won't be looking at another grade like this on an exam". If you are not moving forward, you are staying in the same place. Get the problem fixed and move on. If you can't do that, medical school isn't in your future.
 
I found out that there was one question that my TA forgot to grade (13 points), and I asked him to regrade it.

He just emailed me and it turned out that I got a B- 😀, well, not proud but at least not as unhappy as before 🙂

Again, thank you for your support! You guys are the BEST! 😀
 
I found out that there was one question that my TA forgot to grade (13 points), and I asked him to regrade it.

He just emailed me and it turned out that I got a B- 😀, well, not proud but at least not as unhappy as before 🙂

Again, thank you for your support! You guys are the BEST! 😀

HAHAHAHA that is GREAT MAN!!! I'm so happy for you. You see how depression and stupidity makes you feel worthless for nothing. You didn't even have to worry, keep up the good work man!😀😀😀👍👍👍