VERY Important Question Regarding UoP Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrxle3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just called UoP admissions and spoke to Janelle about the required number of courses for admissions (specifically about the writing courses). Well, since we were on the subject I asked her also about the labs required for biology...and she told me that applicants needed SIX quarters of lab!!! Is what she said true? I don't know about regular biology majors, but as a Biomedical Engineer I can hardly fit that into my schedule. Thanks for any constructive replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Mrxle3 said:
Hey guys. I just called UoP admissions and spoke to Janelle about the required number of courses for admissions (specifically about the writing courses). Well, since we were on the subject I asked her also about the labs required for biology...and she told me that applicants needed SIX quarters of lab!!! Is what she said true? I don't know about regular biology majors, but as a Biomedical Engineer I can hardly fit that into my schedule. Thanks for any constructive replies.

6 quarters of lab in biology alone?!?

Those are Janelle's exact words. Trust me my shock registered through the phone as well..please someone that has been admitted to pacific shed some light on this topic..

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it is pretty clear on thier website...
http://dental.pacific.edu/admissions1/DDS/requirements.htm

Number of Required Courses: (Semesters or Quarters)
Biological Sciences with laboratory 4 or 6
Physics with laboratory 2 or 3
Inorganic Chemistry with laboratory 2 or 3
Organic Chemistry* 2 or 3

I read this as saying, you have to complete two years of bio classes and these clases should have labs.

So Bio 1 & 2 with labs
Two other bio classes with labs (I took a comparative anatomy course and Animal physio)

-C

superc beat me to the punch.

is it really that many? it's freshman biology and then 2 more... you can take genetics, microbiology, cell biology, histology, anatomy, physiology, and so on and so forth.

I think there's some confusion between schools on how the lab classes work. At my school, the lectures and labs are considered seperate classes (for example, our first quarter freshman biology class is called Bild 1, and it does NOT include a lab class). ALL of the classes at our school work this way in that lab is a seperate entity from the lecture itself. For those of you under the same system, could you tell me how this will factor into admission?

Mrxle3 said:
I think there's some confusion between schools on how the lab classes work. At my school, the lectures and labs are considered seperate classes (for example, our first quarter freshman biology class is called Bild 1, and it does NOT include a lab class). ALL of the classes at our school work this way in that lab is a seperate entity from the lecture itself. For those of you under the same system, could you tell me how this will factor into admission?
I would think that since the lab is a separate course, but connected to the lecture class, it will count.

I don't see what the problem with needing 4 semesters of bio labs is - at my undergrad (Illinois), you need a minimum of 3 semesters to graduate with a bio degree, anyway.

hmm...UCLA has a bio requirement for pretty much all biological science majors (pre-meds, dents, pharm), but I'm not sure if it fulfills the Pacific requirements. The courses were Life Science 1(evolution, plants, etc), LS 2 (human system), LS 3 (microbio), and LS 4 (genetics). They all had a lab section within the course, but it was somewhat of a lab/discussion. Do you think this would count as 8 quarters, or am I screwed with 2 less requirements that I need to fulfill. What do you think? Any UCLA people out there?

How would those integrated labs count in terms of credits earned? All my lab classes are 4 units each (seperate from the lecture).

Integrated labs as you know are denoted in the class name, For example the course I mentioned I took Animal Physiology is listed as PCB4723C. It depends on the school you are at but the "C" indicates that it is a combination course.

I do not know who the responsibility falls on with respect to interpreting combo classes. I would imagine that it is completed during AADSAS GPA calculation. As for how many credits they are worth in the eyes of the dental schools, I guess that is up to them. However, I would think they consider the lab as one credit hour. So PCB3723C would come out to be 4 class hours and 1 lab hour (5 Credits total)

That being said, the way I interpreted UOP requirements, was not that specific. I read it as, as long as you took some type of Biology course for 4 semesters and they each had a lab you have fulfilled the requirement.
-C

thanks for everyones input...since I already have been offered an interview later next month, do you think they already scanned my AADSAS transcript and saw that I have fulfilled the requirements---or I will be screwed if I am offered an acceptance but have yet to complete 2 quarters of Bio?

Thanks.

I am no authority on this subject, but I am a current UOP student and I only completed 5 bio labs. I was already accepted when I brought up the issue with the admissions staff (as I was choosing spring quarter classes at the time) and they informed me that I didn't have to take a 6th bio lab.

I'm not sure if this was a mistake or simply because I was already accepted and had sent my first deposit. Either way, I thought I would mention it...

By the way - Pacific is awesome!

Were your lectures and labs combined?

Mrxle3 said:
Were your lectures and labs combined?

Not sure if you were referring to my dilemma...if so, I only completed a Life Science series 1-4, where labs were integrated into the discussions. However, most science classes were 4 credits, while the LS series consisted of 5 unit courses. Maybe some UCLA folks can shed some light...I'll give Pacific a call in a couple days to figure this out.