SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by beryeuni, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. beryeuni

    beryeuni 7+ Year Member

    Mar 30, 2007

    I'm a new to SDN but it's so nice to see how there's such a network of great people, helping each other for the same ultimate goal. :)

    I'm a Canadian resident and already took cDAT. But I didn't like my score so I scheduled to write the American DAT on April 30. (in few days!)
    I had scheduled it early b/c I heard that it takes ~3 weeks to process my DAT mark. (I want to apply right away on May 15th)
    Yet, I don't feel prepared for DAT now due to school exams.

    Would I be negatively affected if I reschedule/delay DAT to anytime before May 15th? Please correct me if I'm wrong: from my understanding, since I get my scores right away after taking DAT, let's say on May 12th, I would enter those scores on AADSAS application. Or do I need to enter something official?

    AADSAS doesn't send my application to dental schools till about June~July even if I apply on May 15th, but DAT scores get directly to dental schools. So I would assume that by the time dental schools receive my application from AADSAS, they'd also have my DAT scores (official scores)

    So, delaying DAT to something like June wouldn't be good but as long as I write my DAT anytime before May 15th, am I safe?
    Plz help!! :confused: Thanx in advance! :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wackiezackie82

    wackiezackie82 My Idol 2+ Year Member

    Apr 17, 2007
    I believe you should definitely be okay by taking the DAT any time before May 15th. I'd even say a week after won't even hurt you, because it's better to get a good score on the exam the first time.

    You enter your DAT score into your AADSAS application based on the score sheet they give you right after your test and then they mail a copy to the schools you selected at the time you signed up for your test.
  4. 1992Corolla

    1992Corolla CheerioKing 7+ Year Member

    Sep 19, 2005
    You can take the DAT and have it sent out to schools without it going through AADSAS. Definately send out AADSAS application asap, but you can wait util June or July to take the DAT. If it helps you to prepare better than I would do that. Schools will start to review applicants in July August up until May of the next year. You are fine. Reschedule if you are not ready.
  5. zero_cool_ck

    zero_cool_ck Iknow 7+ Year Member


    ur timing is perfect (DAt in May or June). I didn't know a whole lot about applications to US dental schools. i wrote the American DAT at the end of november '06 because i knew my nov '06 canadian DAT did not go well. because of my DAt scores, my application wasn't complete until the end of december:( . but i still received three interviews :) (NYU, BU and USC) and one acceptance :) (BU). oh, btw, i submitted my AADSAS application at the end of october '06 and it probably took a good month for the processing of the my application. In retrospect, if i had written the DAT in June or July '06 and submitted my application in june, i probably would have had a better chance. but again, i wasnt serious about applying to dentistry until the end of August '06.

    also, as u already know, DAT is an important component of the application. so i hope u do well on DAt and apply early to as many schools as possible.

    good luck.
  6. zero_cool_ck

    zero_cool_ck Iknow 7+ Year Member

    sorry for double post
  7. beryeuni

    beryeuni 7+ Year Member

    Mar 30, 2007
    Thank u guys for the advice!! I delayed my DAT :)

Share This Page