Very nervous for first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wilson456

Reaction score
I will begin DPT school this fall and I am starting to have major anxiety about what to expect. I believe I got fairly good background knowledge in undergrad but feel wildly unprepared for the information I will be learning in the upcoming years. Due to prerequisites and what not I have a solid understanding of basic anatomy and physiology but I am wondering if I need to go into school having brushed up on more information. Or is it better to just relax because I will know slim to nothing anyways

Members don't see this ad.

Before starting DPT school I was super nervous and asked my mentor and some students further along in the program how best to prepare. They all said the same thing.. just relax and enjoy the time you have left before it begins.
There's really no great way to study ahead of time, so my best advice is to just take it easy.
While your first year may feel like you're drinking water from a firehose, all the information is manageable and you should have more than enough time to study and learn it all well. If you try to review a ton before it all begins you're just gonna burn yourself out.
so have some fun now and begin DPT school fresh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will begin DPT school this fall and I am starting to have major anxiety about what to expect. I believe I got fairly good background knowledge in undergrad but feel wildly unprepared for the information I will be learning in the upcoming years. Due to prerequisites and what not I have a solid understanding of basic anatomy and physiology but I am wondering if I need to go into school having brushed up on more information. Or is it better to just relax because I will know slim to nothing anyways

Our co-host, Nate, just went back to PT school. He felt the same thing and even went back for a bachelor's in ExSci (already had BS Bio) before starting PT school. We say it pretty plainly in our last episode, Rehab Real Talk 04 - Dana Larson, that he was definitely overthinking it. You should go into it expecting to drink from a firehose and it all smooths out in the end. Expecting to already know a ton won't get you very far. Knowing your A&P before you get in is the best you can do, realistically, in most cases. I'm sure you'll be fine.

my goodness, its not that hard! drink from a firehose? Hyperbole.

Reactions: 1 user
my goodness, its not that hard! drink from a firehose? Hyperbole.

Yes, it’s hyperbole. The point they were probably making to you and that I would assume most PTs would agree on is that gross anatomy was probably the most condensed course in all of the program - after that there were no major cramming sessions quite like those 6-7 weeks. I wouldn’t say it’s not that hard - I mean, I had time to workout and be social and all... but I wouldn’t say go in lightly. That’s coming from a post-bacc perspective not a 3+3 if it makes any difference.

I believe that the OP said that they had a decent anatomy and physiology background.

Yes, it’s hyperbole. The point they were probably making to you and that I would assume most PTs would agree on is that gross anatomy was probably the most condensed course in all of the program - after that there were no major cramming sessions quite like those 6-7 weeks. I wouldn’t say it’s not that hard - I mean, I had time to workout and be social and all... but I wouldn’t say go in lightly. That’s coming from a post-bacc perspective not a 3+3 if it makes any difference.
As a 2nd yr student I agree, anatomy is just massive memorization for a small amount of weeks. However, you learn so much that future classes such as biomechanics and msk will be easier to understand. Take advantage of lab though, its a cool experience working with cadavers!

I felt the same way but while its an insane amount of information it is doable if you put in the time so take some refuge in that.

Stay up on your work and it's not an issue. Concepts are not difficult to understand whatsoever, it's just pure quantity.

If you are wanting to brush up on anything for peace of mind, here are some concepts that reappear throughout PT school and so would be good to know for general base knowledge:
- dermatomes/myotomes
- basic exercises for major muscle groups
- manual muscle testing grades

Get some rest and enjoy your time off before you start! You'll be in the swing of things before you know it.

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first semester of PT school. I'll admit it was definitely an adjustment, but they chose you because they know you are capable. I had to learn new ways of studying for mass amounts of information, and eliminate any procrastination. Once you're in the swing of things and a routine you'll be fine! Definitely make time for any activities that relieve your stress (gym/yoga/etc) because it is important to still take care of yourself! I can honestly say I am amazed with the amount of information I was able to learn in the summer, and am looking forward to continue this journey.
Good luck!

I just finished my first semester of PT school. I'll admit it was definitely an adjustment, but they chose you because they know you are capable. I had to learn new ways of studying for mass amounts of information, and eliminate any procrastination. Once you're in the swing of things and a routine you'll be fine! Definitely make time for any activities that relieve your stress (gym/yoga/etc) because it is important to still take care of yourself! I can honestly say I am amazed with the amount of information I was able to learn in the summer, and am looking forward to continue this journey.
Good luck!
Do you think group studies help a lot? what other techniques did you use?

Do you think group studies help a lot? what other techniques did you use?
Yes! My school strongly believes in Team based learning, so in most classes we are in a group of 5 and we go over and quiz each other on the material. I have that my memory and understanding of the material dramatically improved compared to college where I did a lot of independent studying. Even when not in class I have a group of 4 friends where we study together, quiz each other, make up stories to remember things, etc. We tried flashcards and quizlets, but I did not find much benefit to these. A great way to know that you have mastered a subject is if you can then quiz and teach others about it, once I find that I am able to do so then I know I am ready for the exam/quiz

Don't stress out too much. Just finished my first semester last Friday. We took two classes Exercise Physiology and Clinical Anatomy. I made it out with a 4.0 while still having time to train for powerlifting 5 days a week for 2-4 hours a day. Also competed in a powerlifting meet during the semester. I feel like people over hype just how difficult it is. As long as you know how to manage your time well and don't procrastinate you'll be golden.

Don't stress out too much. Just finished my first semester last Friday. We took two classes Exercise Physiology and Clinical Anatomy. I made it out with a 4.0 while still having time to train for powerlifting 5 days a week for 2-4 hours a day. Also competed in a powerlifting meet during the semester. I feel like people over hype just how difficult it is. As long as you know how to manage your time well and don't procrastinate you'll be golden.

2-4 hours a day for power training in your first semester!? PT school isn't medical school but you must photographic memory or something.

2-4 hours a day for power training in your first semester!? PT school isn't medical school but you must photographic memory or something.

Haha I do have a pretty good memory but it's far from photographic. I just prioritized school and training. So most of my free time was spent either studying or training.