Very short interview at UMDNJ-SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nylesor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and can tell me what they think of the situation. My stats are 3.6 for overall GPA, 3.3 for science GPA, and an MCAT of 30 (verbal 13, Physical 8, and biological 9). I have a sizeable amount of EC's, volunteering, shadowing experiences with several doctors, including two DOs - one in internal medicine and another was an Air Force flight surgeon, which is what I'm aiming for. I toured and interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM and just fell in love with it. The facilities are great, the staff were so nice and top-notch from the statistics, and the student (yes, medical students) were really happy. (In fact, I thought I was in the wrong place at first and that I had walked into a dental school by mistake or something :p ) The onlything that worried me was the interview. I feel I usually do well for interviews, however, I was next to last in the last batch sometime in November and they were running two hours late, so they pretty much asked me only 3 questions and finished in 10 minutes. The time was so short that I'm not sure what kind of impact I made and I feel like I might have appeared a bit nervous due to the brevity of the interview. BTW, they said they receive 1000s of applications, interview 250, then accept 200 for a class of around 120. Did I just screw myself over with the interview? I already sent the two interviewers thank yous for the interview and answering my questions. Do you think sending a letter of intent would help? And what exactly should it include/look like? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nylesor said:
Hey. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and can tell me what they think of the situation. My stats are 3.6 for overall GPA, 3.3 for science GPA, and an MCAT of 30 (verbal 13, Physical 8, and biological 9). I have a sizeable amount of EC's, volunteering, shadowing experiences with several doctors, including two DOs - one in internal medicine and another was an Air Force flight surgeon, which is what I'm aiming for. I toured and interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM and just fell in love with it. The facilities are great, the staff were so nice and top-notch from the statistics, and the student (yes, medical students) were really happy. (In fact, I thought I was in the wrong place at first and that I had walked into a dental school by mistake or something :p ) The onlything that worried me was the interview. I feel I usually do well for interviews, however, I was next to last in the last batch sometime in November and they were running two hours late, so they pretty much asked me only 3 questions and finished in 10 minutes. The time was so short that I'm not sure what kind of impact I made and I feel like I might have appeared a bit nervous due to the brevity of the interview. BTW, they said they receive 1000s of applications, interview 250, then accept 200 for a class of around 120. Did I just screw myself over with the interview? I already sent the two interviewers thank yous for the interview and answering my questions. Do you think sending a letter of intent would help? And what exactly should it include/look like? Thanks!

nah man. dont worry about it. you could actually have a very, very good shot at getting into UMDNJ-NJMS... the MD school.

anyway, you shouldn't worry about it because people with good stats are almost always accepted. the interview is just a formality and just a check to make sure you that you're not 1) a recluse and 2) a weirdo. the interview at this point for you is just a formality. this is especially true at UMDNJ schools.

you may think that your stats are average, but that's only if you consider them in a MD application aspect. when you look at the aplicants applying to the DO school, you are in the higher end or the more competitive range.

i know this because i was interviewed twice at UMDNJ-NJMS and they explained THE ENTIRE interview process to me. because first, they invited me in one week.... and then all of a sudden, in the next week, they call me up to invite me back for a second interview that was in 3 days... since i had to buy last minute plane tickets for $400 and miss 2 final exams just to go back for this non-required interview, they owed me an explanation of their intervie proces.

theunderdog said:
nah man. dont worry about it. you could actually have a very, very good shot at getting into UMDNJ-NJMS... the MD school.

anyway, you shouldn't worry about it because people with good stats are almost always accepted. the interview is just a formality and just a check to make sure you that you're not 1) a recluse and 2) a weirdo. the interview at this point for you is just a formality. this is especially true at UMDNJ schools.

Damn...I am a recluse AND a weirdo...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nylesor said:

I have also hear their interviews are just a formality. You are fine!

well, i haven't heard back from them yet (they meet on the dec. 19), but my interview was short. they only schedule 30 minutes for an interview, which is on the short side anyway, and they seemed really non-rushed about starting the interviews, so my guess is most people have short interviews. it was a very laid back process for me, which i really appreciated after getting grilled at my interview the day before.

if it's just a formality, then how do they select from all the interviewees? :(

I have an upcoming interview and a few questions. Is the building wireless yet? Are the facilities old, cramped, or off-putting in any way? I live proably 15 minutes away from there and have no idea what is surrounding the school can you give me any insight? Finally, did you get to see their match list since they don't publish it anymore? Just curious, thanks.

Airzonk said:
I have an upcoming interview and a few questions. Is the building wireless yet? Are the facilities old, cramped, or off-putting in any way? I live proably 15 minutes away from there and have no idea what is surrounding the school can you give me any insight? Finally, did you get to see their match list since they don't publish it anymore? Just curious, thanks.

It was just made wireless and the facilities are gorgeous. The anatomy lab even has big open windows for sunlight with plants around, "life among the death" as the students called it. :p Surrounding the school is suburbia, a very safe town the students told me with everything you need. It probably isn't very different from where you live if you're that close. Didn't see the match list, but I'm sure you could ask.

exlawgrrl said:
well, i haven't heard back from them yet (they meet on the dec. 19), but my interview was short. they only schedule 30 minutes for an interview, which is on the short side anyway, and they seemed really non-rushed about starting the interviews, so my guess is most people have short interviews. it was a very laid back process for me, which i really appreciated after getting grilled at my interview the day before.

what school did you get grilled at?

Nylesor said:

I had a short interview as well, as did many I'm sure. It depends on the interviewer. I'm glad to hear that you liked the school. Don't think that interviewing in November is late. There are people who had interviewed as late as april or later, and have been accepted. Just hang in there, and if you have any question for a first year student who has just finished his first semester finals, then IM or message me. And you are right that we are a happy bunch of med students (especailly now that finals are over :D )

Nylesor said:
if it's just a formality, then how do they select from all the interviewees? :(

the interview at UMDNJ-SOM is NOT a formality. Not everyone who is interviewed gets in. I am not trying to spoil your mood, I am just trying to get you to be realistic and not take interviews for granted.

EMT2ER-DOC said:
the interview at UMDNJ-SOM is NOT a formality. Not everyone who is interviewed gets in. I am not trying to spoil your mood, I am just trying to get you to be realistic and not take interviews for granted.

wow. i'm not.

We have almost identical stats and my interview was 10 minutes also. The interview is not a formality but they really only interview the select few that they want to bring in.
I am happy to be here, even after finals. This is a great place, very laid back, and filled with opportunities. Good luck

I interviewed in April for the class of 2009 and my interview only lasted about 10 minutes. However I was waitlisted and that could have been because of the interview or being late in the cycle.

I'm in as well. Had a 40 minute interview. After looking at everyone talking about getting in with a 10 minute interview I was starting to wonder about my chances.

HunterGatherer said:
I'm in as well. Had a 40 minute interview. After looking at everyone talking about getting in with a 10 minute interview I was starting to wonder about my chances.

they must have just liked talking to you. :) congrats to all the new umdnj acceptees!

theunderdog said:

I definitely think this can be true at DO schools when you have great stats. I felt disappointed I spent money on plane tickets to talk to them for 15 minutes. Definitely not complaining though.