VERY STUPID QUESTION =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okie uhmm about anesthetist... isnt this like the best job?? all you have to do this give a shot and you are done?? no pressure and still make money??? hehe i know im prolly wrong so tell what he does...

The confused freshman =)

Members don't see this ad.

uh... MALPRACTICE SUITS??

Popoman, I get the feeling you aren't going into medicine for the sheer altruistic thrill of helping your fellow man...

Why don't you enter some field more lucrative than medicine - one that doesn't impose 100-hour workweeks and weigh down its disciples with the leaden shackles of educational debt?

keke.. i guess not.... but then is it an easy job??/ no??? it is that hard? i dont want to work 100++ hours a week??? u sure???
okie more confused???

The confused freshman... =(

Members don't see this ad :)
As an anesthtist (sp?) you are responsible for maintaing the poatients vitals. This includes intubating them, which in itself can be problmatic because if not done properly can cause brain damage or vocal cord damage. Then through out you must monitor the patient make sure they are getting the right ratio of anesthetic and oxygen. Also monitor drugs and administer.
It is an area of medicine I am interested in personally but if you are looking for an easy ride I suggest something different and noit anything medically related. Maybe become a lawyer or go into computer tech stuff
smile.gif
Being an anestethist is definately not easy!
Good Luck on your career quest!

Sara,

I wouldn't exactly consider lawyers' jobs as an "easy ride." 60 hours a week is considered an easy week in law. 65-80 hrs is more typical of lawyers.

As one anesthesiologist said before, 'anyone can put people to sleep, but it takes an anesthesiologist to bring them back from sleep.'
But then a cardiothoracic surgeon replied 'anyone can stop the heart, but it takes a ct surgeon to start one again.'
No one specialty in medicine, i.e. anesthesiology, is "easy". You just gotta pick the field you're interested in.

I think my apology is due. I was making somewhat of a sarcastic remark about becoming a lawyer, infering that it is a field to go into if you are just interested in money. I in know way meant to say it would be easy money! It can however deppending on the area of law you go into be an equally personal professsion (ie Family Law etc)
And I didnt mean to infer that any area of medicine is easier than others. I think however each area has its different types of stressors. Anesthesia/surgery may be more quick response stress. Oncology could be more long term stress. And family practice more everyday stress, although of a lighter scale. Who knows, I am not there yet. Just meaning to offer an opinion, not the final word
smile.gif

I don't know you, and a few e-posts are a hardly a criteria for deciding what your motivations are, but there is an old adage
from the Latin--

Race Ipsa Loquitor--

roughly, "let the action speak for itself":

You don't seem to be the type of person I would ever want to associate with at a dissecting table, lecture hall or the sending end of a stethoscope, for that matter. I have had the benefit of meeting other people with my goal in common. People who work hard because they know that helping and educating their fellow human beings in health related matters is their strength and their passion, not because it will get them into a higher tax bracket. There are many opportunities for making money it this brave new millenium and I would encourage you to seek areas in those forums/arenas that do not involve patient care. I wish you luck with whatever you do, but I hope I don't meet you on rounds.