Hope14

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
NYorker
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey guys…so this is basically the story and I think I have posted something like this before but all I want is some honest answers once again because everything just seems soooo awfully sad right now. I messed up my freshmen and sophomore years in college badly….badly meaning I had to redo D’ s and at that point when I did redo those, I didn’t get A’s either…I got C’s or C+’s. and sophomore year I got some F’s. and my gpa now…well you guys can all imagine… well since I have realized why these low grades occurred, I am on my way in redoing the rest of the classes in which I have the D/F. I am redoing one of the classes during the summer right now but when I went to class I felt soooo discouraged. Like it didn’t matter anymore if I got an A. So I know, basically now I need to start getting like A’s in EVERYTHING. science and non science classes…including the redo’s. I know that except sometimes I this feel that even if I do well in the years left to come in college, is it going to be worth it? It’s a scary and very upsetting when I think that its all ruined now and now theres no hope for me to get into med school. And I mean is it possible to get in like if I apply after my junior year /senior year. I don’t really want to do post-bacc or anything regarding that but who knows I might have to…would I?

Well anyways Im sure you all have heard similar situations like this, probably not as bad but I appreciate you all reading this and if you have any advice/comments it would be greatly appreciated because I don’t want my hard work to go to a waste. If nothings possible then might as well change career goals as much as I absolutely would not want to….thanks……..

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
well, im goin to be honest. You sound like you wont have a good chance of getting into med school. What is your GPA now? your BCMP? From the sounds of it, contingent on getting a good MCAT score of at least a 30, you would be a perfect candidate for special masters programs. Granted it is a postbac, but if you get in, you take medical school classes with other medical school students all while earning a masters degree. Some programs like University of Cincinnati's also require you write a thesis, which will make your application that much more competitive. If you do well in these classes, you can be redeemed of your faults in the sense that you are proving to adcoms that you CAN do well in medical school classes. If you do well, and contingent on getting at least an A- GPA in the courses, and if you explain yourself (explaining urself is not the same as making excuses- a mistake many individuals make in their PS) well in your personal statement, you culd have a much better shot at getting into medical school. THus, you avoid having to take those classes over again with a regular post-bac and show that you are serious about getting into medical school. PM me for more info, I have considerable experience working with SMPs.

eddie13231

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Well if you apply DO, I believe that some schools only look at your "re-do's" and thus they won't be factored into GPA. This could possibly save you time and money of a post-bac.

TauPathology

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
FL
Status
Pre-Medical
It is a difficult situation, no doubt. I would just try and get as many high grades as you can out of college, and then apply the year after you get out. Spend the year out of college working at a research institution or the like. Many of them allow you to take graduate level classes free of charge if you are a full-time employee (they request you only take 1 or 2 at a time though). There is some grade boost, money, and experience to put on your resume. Like the others said before me, MCATs will be vital to your resume. If you have extraordinary ECs, that will offset the gpa as well.

You can do it, its just going to hurt for a while.

DNAroolez

Alpha Helix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
Philly
Status
Pre-Medical
Well why did you do poorly in the classes? Did you just not adjust well to freshmen year, or were you taking classes that you really didn't like? I saw a lot of kids in college slip through the cracks in the sciences because they had the mentality: as long as i suffer through these classes I hate, i can get to medical school. but the problem is, if you dont like the sciences you will most likely not like medicine (being it is a science!). What i would suggest is take a look at your motivation. what do you really love to do? you may not want medicine as much as you think you do. however, if you decide medicine is really something you are meant to do, go back full force into your studies and do as best as you can. if that includes doing a post bac, taking time off for research, whatever. if you truely want to do it, you will make it happen regardless of how many hurdles you need to jump over.

OP
H

Hope14

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
NYorker
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
thanks guys...that is what i am doing now...redoing a class over the summer and just getting all fully into it..no distractions anymore!!!!! and then I have mcats to begin too....anyways if i do apply at the end of my senior year perhaps i can double major and stay an extra year.....that wouldnt look bad would it? stayin in undergrad for a double major...obviously along with doing more EC's (research,volunter etc etc)

DNAroolez

Alpha Helix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
Philly
Status
Pre-Medical
that would't look bad at all. i think it would show dedication

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hope14 said:
thanks guys...that is what i am doing now...redoing a class over the summer and just getting all fully into it..no distractions anymore!!!!! and then I have mcats to begin too....anyways if i do apply at the end of my senior year perhaps i can double major and stay an extra year.....that wouldnt look bad would it? stayin in undergrad for a double major...obviously along with doing more EC's (research,volunter etc etc)
Double majors are over-valued. Do whatever you can to raise your GPA.

If you can not get your GPA to an acceptable range (3.0? 3.2? Debatable...), you should consider Eddie's thought. DO schools erase the first grade on repeated classes. If you repeat all your poor results, you could be applying osteopathic with a great GPA, while your allopathic application could still be pretty ho-hum.

If you're dead set on allopathic, consider a postbac or special masters. It might not be necessary, but impossible to tell without knowing exact numbers. Best of luck with the rest of your studies....

Apr 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
re-do all the bad grades, osteopathic schools only consider the last grade (not the average of the two) so you could actually apply with a perfect gpa if you retake stuff. I know how bad it feels to get low grades, i'm going through it right now, it's so depressing. I have to retake organic chem I (it's horrible at my university).
don't worry, just re-take the stuff. and take a kaplan course so your mcat will be fine. I've heard "miracle" stories of unlikely people getting into allopathic schools also, nothing is out of question. best of luck to you!

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
This thread was from four years ago. :) Last update from two years ago was that the OP was going for pharmacy school.