Vet/Animal experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSJ

Michigan State CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about adding experiences. If you have done something that started before high school, do you put the actual start date or the date that you started high school as the start date? Do you include the hours from before high school?
Is it okay that I put "Stable hand" for 5-6 different experiences, they were all at different barns and I did alot of the same things, but some different things as well?
Should I put experiences that were short? Like say a 10 hour lecture/demonstration by the MSPCA on how to use their horse ambulance/ how transport injured horses?
Do most people describe the descriptions as how you would on a resume? For example, Fed horses, carried out treatments, cleaned stalls, (all in past tense) etc?
I also started adding them in chronological order but thought of a few things in between. I know it says to enter them in chronological order, do I need to delete entries and put them back in the correct order?
And one more little questions, do you put llamas and goats under food animal , even if they won't be eaten?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

HAHAHA!!!! first of all, calm down. even if you do it 'wrong' that's ok. everyone is in the same boat of questions as you are. here we go...
-as for dates, i put month and year I started doing that activity, even if it was 06/97 - 11/97... it still counts from back then.
-for stable hand i would try to do it all in one category, unless they were all distinct experiences. really, for that there isn't a wrong way. i don't even know if there is a right way....
-for short, random experiences i grouped mine all in one. like lectures i have attended; i just listed the different ones and basic thoughts on that. personally, i think little things are important (see my previous posts about animal experience) so i would add everything you can. to be less obnoxious about it, though, you can group small related experiences.
-i did all past tense, short descriptions, even abbreviations due to word limit
-i think you can insert things between dates to keep things chronological
-llamas and goats, to me, are not food animal. but they may or may not be companion animals either. are they working llamas/goats? i would specify if needed.

good luck- relax.

Thanks so much! That made me feel better!! I guess I just feel like I have so much varried experience that it's a little hard to handle it all it gets overwhelming. I like the idea of adding lectures together, that makes a lot of sense.
One more quick questions- if you have done different things with a vet (professor/vet/phd) all in one, should you try and squeeze them all onto one thing, or is it okay to put their name more than once and give them description for each? I have a professor that I did veterinary related stuff with and worked on a few different research projects with.

Thanks again!

ummmm.... i think that really depends. if they are distinct experiences then i guess you should separate them.