Vet Experience after Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clawsbeatskin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be volunteering at a vet clinic abroad this fall, but won't start until September, and ends in November. I know that VMCAS says not to count hours that are planned but not completed, but this experience will be fairly significant and I need to include it on the app. somehow. Any suggestions? :)

Members don't see this ad.

If it's starting in September, just include the number of hours completed before Oct. 1 (or whatever the actual deadline is). Then in the description section, explain the experience started September XXX and will end Nov. XXX and XXX number of hours is expected to be completed. I think that should work out for you. Another suggestion is to call VMCAS and ask. They are really good about getting back to you, and if you call them when they aren't busy (June/July) they are pretty fast about it too.

You can always mention it in your personal statement.

I know that VMCAS says not to count hours that are planned but not completed
It seems pretty common for secondary apps to ask for exactly that information - perhaps because this situation is so common. So any schools you apply to with secondaries, they may specifically ask you to update your hours in any new or ongoing activities since October.

(I agree with above that since you're starting the activity before Oct. 1, it's fair game to list it in VMCAS with the hours you'll have completed before the deadline.)