Vet experience Akron/Canton Ohio area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

onceuponadream

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I'm a pre-vet student and am pretty new to this area. I was wondering if anybody had any places they'd recommend to get vet experience in the Canton/Akron area. As of right now I have no vet experience which I know I really need to get started on. I do have a lot of animal experience however. There are so many vets in the area and just wanted to know if there are any you would recommend contacting.

Thanks : )
 
I don't know about small animal shadowing, but all my large/food animal hours came from vets in the Akron/Canton area. I rode along with a food animal vet at Wellington Vet Clinic in Wellington, OH and was able to shadow the equine vets at Equine Specialty Hospital in Burton, OH.

Note: These were both over an hour from me in Cleveland, but they were well worth the drives.

Good luck!
 
Most of the vets I shadowed were a little bit north of Akron. For large animal I shadowed Dr Alger in Mantua- I really liked him. For equine experience I shadowed Dr Genovese at Cleveland equine, which is in Ravenna, not Cleveland- I really liked him too! Small animal experience is easy to find around there. My grandparents live in North Canton and they keep telling me that the woman who just bought the ForPaws/ Blue Cross practice (in N Canton) just won some kind of big award.
Once you get some basic SA experience, check out One of a Kind Pets spay neuter clinic in Akron- they have students in all the time and are really great. Also, there's an emergency center in Copley, and they share a building with Eye Care for Animals- I shadowed there a little bit, and it's worth checking out!

Good luck!