Vet Experience Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

squirrelsrule

Ohio State CVM c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if attending classes taught by a veterinarian at wildlife conferences count as vet experience hours? I have attended several classes at conferences taught by vets covering topics such as zoonotics, fluid therapy, critical care, diarrhea causes and treatments, wildlife diseases, case histories, and many many more. I hadn't thought of this before, but it could really help boost my vet experience hours, which are in serious need of help since none of my wildlife rehab time counts because I have no vet on site here or at the center where I volunteer.

Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows, if not, I'll call the lady at OSU again 🙂.
 
DEFINATELY would count that as vet experience for sure, goodluck to you, I'm sure you're getting a lot out of those lectures!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll give Ohio State a call. I plan to apply to more than one, but Ohio State is my in state school and my number 1 choice. I am pretty sure the all day songbird class I took will count because it was hands on doing necropsies, fluids, splinting, etc. and hopefully the others will count too... we'll see. I always learn a lot at the conferences!
 
I'd contact VMCAS and the schools you are applying to and get the answer in writing.

Quite a few of my UG classes were taught be a DVM. I didn't count those as vet experience, or the AZA conferences that were taught by DVMs or PhDs. I do know if you are claiming them elsewhere (education, courses, etc) VMCAS discourages double dipping.
 
Well good cause I am registered for the AAHA/OVMA conference in march they are hosting in toronto canada.