Vet Med or PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CelestialVeterinarian

My eyes gleam for the Vet dream.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a junior in college and I have wanted to become a Veterinarian since I was little... heck, until I could pronounce the word haha!

Due to the recent events of my parents passing, I use to be a 3.6 GPA then dwindled to a 2.9. I transferred after getting my associates and now it's my first semester on the road to a bachelors.

I'm doing fine in my classes besides Orgo and I believe I'm going to get a C in it but I'm aiming for a B. My science grades aren't too hot because they require a lot of attention that I couldn't handle during my parents passing. (Dad in 2012 and mom in 2016). I have C's in...
Physics 1 and 2 (Mom passed in part 2, would have gotten a B but I ended with C+)
Pre-Calc
Biology 2 (my mom passed during this time. Would have gotten a B)
The 150 Chemistry (I got B's in g
Gen Chem 1 and 2 though)

My advisors and counselors told me to look for something else. At first I felt offended that they wanted me to look into another career but now I don't mind.

Dermatology PA sounds SOOOO appealing to me. It'll be closer to home, less schooling, 'more money down the road and less money with how much it costs for schooling. But I still feel sad about Vet med. Also they look at me as a whole and not just my grades first. Where vet schools just look at my SIS and if I'm not good enough they won't even look at anything else. I feel PA will be easier to get into.

I also feel like I'll let people down because of them knowing my dream to be a Vet.

Suggestions?

I do have an appointment to see MSU to talk to them about it and give me a non sugar coated opinion but we will see.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't use a picture of yourself as a profile picture on a public forum.... that's my first suggestion. (I'm guessing that's a picture of you, if not ignore).

My next suggestion.... go shadow a veterinarian and go shadow a PA, see which you like better. They are very different jobs.

And I'm very sorry to hear about your parents, that had a big impact. Vet schools do look at big picture and would take this loss into consideration when looking at your application. Your best bet now is to show that you can get decent grades, get tutors for the more difficult subjects if needed.

Reactions: 1 user