Vet/PhD: Anyone want to help write an SDN article?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also posted with the Research Scientists forum.

Hi everyone,

It's been about five years since SDN posted an article about MD/PhD admissions.

Is there anyone interested in writing an article (can be collaborative) about the nuances of developing a strong MD/PhD (MSTP) or research-focused application (like DVM/PhD)? Comments about the process since the COVID pandemic? Alternatively, I can compile your wisdom, provided I can organize it into a nice article.

Ideally this article would target people who have decided "MD/PhD is right for me!" (homage to the MSTP directors' presentations that ask the question).

Message me to let me know! (Let anyone you know in ASPA or similar leadership!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If Shorty is unavailable, I have a friend in a path residency who did DVM/PhD I can ask. No guarantees as she has some boards exams coming up

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mr.Smile12 Because there are several programs that do different tracks for DVM/PhD (i.e. concurrently vs consecutively), I strongly recommend that this article get perspectives from multiple people and preferably from at least 1 representative from the different ways of doing it. DVM/PhD programs are not as uniformly structured as their MD/PhD counterpart.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! This is a flexible timeline though I want to get articles out by the start of the application cycle if that's reasonable. It's a topic I'd like to cover for the year.

I agree that because of the lack of uniformity, it would be great to show an applicant's perspective in selecting and navigating the process. There is not much publicity on why DVM/PhD as a pathway or why it's important to have them.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Dubz and I are the only recent dual degree finishers who regularly post at this point, there's one student who is halfway through her program but she doesn't post all that much right now, with one other person who is a current first year so has limited info. So unfortunately, it might be a bit of a wait as Dubz is in a specialty internship and I’m gearing up to graduate and move to start my own internship.

PM me and we can talk more about what you need, but I can’t make any guarantees right now.