Vet School App: Academic Integrity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crichard

Reaction score
I am reapplying this cycle as I am currently waitlisted at my in-state school. Although I am listed high on the waitlist (#3) I do not anticipate entry.

This past year I was accused of an academic integrity violation (plagiarism). According to the school I was found "guilty" but there was no penalty as it was a minor and unintentional violation. This is something that my college assured me would not show up on my transcript, but on VMCAS it asks about student conduct violations and academic performance discipline. I don't want to be dishonest by not reporting it, but at the same time I don't want my application to be thrown out because of it. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately with this type of situation it is always better to be honest and explain the situation on VMCAS. If you are dishonest and vet schools find out, it could negatively affect your applications. I personally do not know if that would be listed on a transcript, but you never know if someone at the vet schools you are applying to has a friend at the university that the situation happened at.

Reactions: 2 users
This is definitely the type of scenario to utilize the explain statement for.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd definitely just explain it. Although I wasn't in the same situation, I was accepted into Cornell and they required me to have the Dean of Students at my undergrad school send a letter certifying there haven't been any conviction of honor code violations (or something like that). I feel like it'd look much worse if they found out after you'd been accepted rather than before. So sorry you're having to deal with this, I hope it gets resolved!! I can't imagine how stressful it is :(

Reactions: 1 user