vet school crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catspjz

Reaction score
So I've already posted on here about transferring vet schools but now I'm reconsidering it altogether. It seems so silly but when I think about it... I applied to vet school in the UK on a whim and actually ended up deferring a year (worked full time in a small animal general practice during that year). I'm now a first year and am struggling with confidence and feeling like maybe I didn't make the right decision.

Reasons being:

Financial - debt burdens
Living 6,000 miles from family
Would have liked to get a Masters in wildlife conservation or other

I don't want to quit but feel inadequate. First year blues?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, let me start of saying that it is all going to be okay. I currently go to Virginia-Maryland and a good chunk of my class (1st year) ended up having similar thoughts. The program is really intense and not to mention the increase in our debt from undergrad is amazing (obviously not in the good sense). However, this is just a blip in time and it will all work out. I think you can actually turn all these negative reasons around in positive one. For example, living far away from family can help teach you more independence and promote growth of your character...yes it sounds very cliche but I moved to Vermont for undergrad and my family lives in England and Maryland and it did such wonders to me in so many ways. Sometimes it really sucked being far away, but it also helped build my confidence and figure out on my own what it is like to become an adult and the wonder (sarcasm) of alllllllllllllllll the bills and such we have to pay. Additionally, the financial debt also sucks, but there are a lot of people out there in the same boat as you, but once you pay it off it will feel incredible that you earned your way into veterinary school (all by yourself) and paid it all of. Finally, I don't know about your program but we get a decent amount of wildlife lectures and opportunities (more than I originally thought). I think you should stick it out for the remainder of your first year and then reevaluate. Try and see everything positively, but if you choose to leave veterinary school or transfer just remember that's okay too! :)

Reactions: 1 user