Vet schools in the United Kingdom?

Started by Modizzle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Modizzle

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I've seen posts on vets schools in the Caribbean and Australia, but not on the ones in the United Kingdom that you can apply to with VMCAS. Are these not good options? Are they harder to get into than vet schools in the U.S. (hard as it is to believe that that is possible) or other foreign vet schools?

Thanks
 
They are actually great options. I start at Glasgow this week, and chose this over an interview at my in-state institution.
There are many posts about these schools, and although I could talk quite a bit about them, much of it has already been said in previous posts. What you need to do is expand the thread search beyond just this month's posts.
It will take a bit of looking, but they are all there.
If you go to the bottom of the main forum page you will see "Display Options". Look to where it says "From the:" and it probably says "Last Month". Change that to "Beginning" and you'll see many more posts. (37 pages worth of posts)
A touch of surfing through the posts should answer most of your questions in regards to the UK schools.
Feel free to post more questions you may have about them though.
 
Hi,

I've seen posts on vets schools in the Caribbean and Australia, but not on the ones in the United Kingdom that you can apply to with VMCAS. Are these not good options? Are they harder to get into than vet schools in the U.S. (hard as it is to believe that that is possible) or other foreign vet schools?

Thanks

They are excellent schools. I graduated from Glasgow in 2006 (last year). I just finished a (non-mandatory) small animal internship and am working at a "real job" right now, seeing small and exotic pets. I also know people who graduated from the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) in London, and I spent 2 weeks there at the equine hospital - and must agree that it is an awesome school.

I cannot put into words how glad I am that I chose to attend an overseas school. I have *so many* fantastic memories of the things I did in vet school, and they are just enhanced by where I was. I have so much travel experience under my belt now, and have also grown in maturity by experiencing life in another country (i.e. America is not always #1, people are happy living in their own countries too, and vet medicine and animal husbandry systems are not the same everywhere).

Any questions, feel free to ask. I also have a web site of most of my experiences at http://www.all-animals.net .
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well said! I don't have much to add, but I think it's probably one of the better choices for vet school. I have been told nothing but wonderful things about the University of Glasgow. If you're looking to get an exellant education and have the time and experience of your life, wtih no regrets, then I would definitely apply to one of the schools in the U.K. It's so easy to get around here too, as far as seeing all the other european countries. You can fly ryanair for 1 cent to many different european countries, at most times of the year. The University of Glasgow has about 7 months of classes, 5 months of breaks. You are required to complete 38 weeks total of internships during that time, but you choose them, and they're fairly interesting, and you can do a lot them abroad. I think that's somewhat different than most vet programs. Let us know if you have anymore questions. There's a lot of us on here going to the 3 AVMA accredited U.K. schools. 🙂
 
You are required to complete 38 weeks total of internships during that time, but you choose them, and they're fairly interesting, and you can do a lot them abroad.

They are in fact "externships" (something done while you are still a student) or "preceptorships" - though just plain "EMS" (extramural studies) in the UK. An internship is something you do *after* you graduate from vet school (I did one last year).

Some of the cool places I went for EMS (because I got to choose, like you said!):
- the Isle of Man
- the Orkney isles
- Islay and Jura (two Hebrides isles)
- the Royal Veterinary College just north of London
- two towns near Glasgow: Falkirk and Cumbernauld
- North Yorkshire (near Richmond) for lambing
- the vet school's 1000 acre farm (Cochno) for dairy
- California dairy land
- Zuni, New Mexico
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana (LSU)
- Oakley, California
- Orange, California