Vet Tech schools online that are AVMA accredited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfrechetteks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just got hired at an animal hospital in Kansas for the daycare and boarding, and on the hospital side I've gotten to know some of the doctors and vet techs, one of the techs got her license from an online program at St Petersburg college in Florida. It took her 3 years to complete and it was all online. When I was younger I really wanted to go to vet school but it's just too expensive and time consuming and now that I've entered my 20s, vet tech seems like much more realistic goal for me right now. There are many online programs online but very few AVMA accredited ones, anyone know of all the schools that offer the program online that are also AVMA accredited nationally?

I'm fully aware that this is a forum with mostly vet students, but it's also one of the few forums on the internet that's remotely related. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! you'll get replies a bit faster if you have done a bit of legwork yourself first, so, for this one, all you needed to do was type AVMA & vet tech into google to get

http://www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/vettech_programs.asp

It has both distance and direct programs listed

The distance programs generally require your DVM supervisor to sign off on some techniques, but I have met quite a few folks that have gone this route, and in my opinion it is the best route for an individual already working at a clinic they are happy with (you don't want to change clinics mid semester or anything.) Some of the distance programs do require you to travel on site for a couple of weeks at various times to complete specific training, so read carefully before signing on, and discuss this with your boss if you will need their assistance (with training or time off.) My mom was a vet tech my entire childhood; she also presented my white coat at our vet school ceremony. There were quite a few folks that commented on the value of vet techs during the ceremony and at the reception. I am also certain tht my mother's devotion to animal care paved the way for much of my experience.

Good luck!

I am currently enrolled in St. Petersburg's vet tech program online. I work in New York City at one of the country's largest animal hospitals and the program has really fit well for me. I am able to work full time and take classes as well, and I complete my clinical skills at work under the supervision of DVMs and LVTs. I know there are other programs that have you complete all of your courses first, and then do an externship to work on your clinical skills at the end of the program, but St. Petersburg requires that you be employed at a hospital and performing an externship throughout the entire program. I like the schedule for St. Petersburg because it follows a semester schedule and there are assignments due every week, in addition to midterms, finals, and term projects. There are other programs, I think Penn Foster is one, that are more flexible with their schedule and allow you to work at your own pace. I think you have to be really organized and motivated to do this because it's much easier to put things off. Working full time and taking classes definitely is not easy, and most of my days off are spent studying and doing assignments. However, I really feel like it's done wonders for my skills and my understanding of veterinary medicine. I don't know about the licensing requirements in your state, but in New York, you have to a licensed technician to do anything more than restraining and cleaning. Being enrolled in school has allowed me to do all the things that a technician can do (under supervision) that I would otherwise not be allowed to do as just a veterinary assistant. St. Petersburg also has scholarships available, and I've been lucky enough to have my job reimburse me for tuition at the end of each semester (as long as I get As in my classes). If you have more questions, I would be happy to talk to you about my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently enrolled in St. Petersburg's vet tech program online. I work in New York City at one of the country's largest animal hospitals and the program has really fit well for me. I am able to work full time and take classes as well, and I complete my clinical skills at work under the supervision of DVMs and LVTs. I know there are other programs that have you complete all of your courses first, and then do an externship to work on your clinical skills at the end of the program, but St. Petersburg requires that you be employed at a hospital and performing an externship throughout the entire program. I like the schedule for St. Petersburg because it follows a semester schedule and there are assignments due every week, in addition to midterms, finals, and term projects. There are other programs, I think Penn Foster is one, that are more flexible with their schedule and allow you to work at your own pace. I think you have to be really organized and motivated to do this because it's much easier to put things off. Working full time and taking classes definitely is not easy, and most of my days off are spent studying and doing assignments. However, I really feel like it's done wonders for my skills and my understanding of veterinary medicine. I don't know about the licensing requirements in your state, but in New York, you have to a licensed technician to do anything more than restraining and cleaning. Being enrolled in school has allowed me to do all the things that a technician can do (under supervision) that I would otherwise not be allowed to do as just a veterinary assistant. St. Petersburg also has scholarships available, and I've been lucky enough to have my job reimburse me for tuition at the end of each semester (as long as I get As in my classes). If you have more questions, I would be happy to talk to you about my experience.

I've heard a little bit about St. Petersburg, one of the LVTs at the animal hospital I work at went through the same program as you and now she's working as one. My work will reimburse me, but only if I work there for three years first before entering the program. I really don't want to wait that long to enroll.. my biggest concern with St Petersburg is that it's so expensive. I'm definitely serious about entering a Vet Tech program online because I live in Kansas and the only school offering a vet tech program is five hours away, so online is my only choice. I looked at Penn Foster, but it looked a little sketchy because on the AVMA website, that school is not listed as nationally accredited. I would love to hear more about your experience with St Petersburg. I'm lucky enough to already be employed at an animal hospital - I work in the dog daycare, but I've already put myself out there on the hospital side.

Hello! you'll get replies a bit faster if you have done a bit of legwork yourself first, so, for this one, all you needed to do was type AVMA & vet tech into google to get

http://www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/vettech_programs.asp

It has both distance and direct programs listed

The distance programs generally require your DVM supervisor to sign off on some techniques, but I have met quite a few folks that have gone this route, and in my opinion it is the best route for an individual already working at a clinic they are happy with (you don't want to change clinics mid semester or anything.) Some of the distance programs do require you to travel on site for a couple of weeks at various times to complete specific training, so read carefully before signing on, and discuss this with your boss if you will need their assistance (with training or time off.) My mom was a vet tech my entire childhood; she also presented my white coat at our vet school ceremony. There were quite a few folks that commented on the value of vet techs during the ceremony and at the reception. I am also certain tht my mother's devotion to animal care paved the way for much of my experience.

Good luck!

Yeah, I visited that site the other day, the only reason I started this thread is because some schools online are really sketchy on how their accreditation works, whether it's national or just in the state. I've heard Penn Foster is AVMA accredited, but it's not on the AVMA website, I appreciate the advice though, I work full time at an animal hospital on the daycare side, and in Kansas, there is only one school that offers vet tech, unfortunately it's 5 hours away... online is definitely the way to go for me.

BLancellotti I am currently looking into St. Petersburg as an option for obtaining my vet tech degree. I currently work as a Vet Assistant at a small animal surgical practice in VT so the 20 hrs of work experience per week would be no problem. I was reading on the St. Petersburg site that midterms and finals must be "proctored by an individual from a commercial testing center or by a full-time university or college faculty member." I was wondering if you could tell me who you have to proctor your tests and/or what that means. Do I have to take my exams at a local college? Any other information you can provide about your experience at St. Petersburg would be most helpful!

One of the tech I worked with did San Juan. I helped with her exams and what not and it seems really thorough and not too expensive.

Hello,

I am considering entering into the St Petersburg vet tech distance learning program and was pleased to find you were happy there. I also live in NY and am looking for a veterinary hospital to host me. I'd love to know how you got your job at the hospital. Had you previous experience or did you volunteer first? If I understand correctly, I need 40 hours of hospital experience before I even apply.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am standing at the very beginning of this process and want to take the necessary steps to get started.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am considering entering into the St Petersburg vet tech distance learning program and was pleased to find you were happy there. I also live in NY and am looking for a veterinary hospital to host me. I'd love to know how you got your job at the hospital. Had you previous experience or did you volunteer first? If I understand correctly, I need 40 hours of hospital experience before I even apply.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am standing at the very beginning of this process and want to take the necessary steps to get started.

Thanks!

I was wondering if you could tell me who you have to proctor your tests and/or what that means. Do I have to take my exams at a local college? Any other information you can provide about your experience at St. Petersburg would be most helpful!

Some of the courses have midterms and finals that need to be proctored. The hospital I work at is a very large one, with its own library and a full time librarian. I was able to have the librarian proctor my exams for me. I send in his information at the beginning of each semester and about a week or so before the exams, the school sends him a password to open the exam for me. Then I go in on exam day and he opens up the test on a computer near his desk and watches me to make sure I'm not cheating. There are lots of proctoring sites available at local colleges, libraries, or even business whose sole purpose is proctoring exams. Some of them will charge you money, but I got lucky that my hospital does not charge.

I would highly recommend St. Petersburg. It's a little daunting trying to complete the program without ever setting foot in a classroom, but the professors are amazing. You'll see a lot of the same instructors for your courses, and they will get to know you. When they found out that I had been accepted into veterinary school, they all sent me messages saying how proud and excited they were for me. It is a challenging program though, but the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. If you think you're able to manage your time, I would totally encourage you to make the investment.

Hello,

Thanks!

I started getting veterinary experience when I was in high school and tried to get involved in as many experiences as possible. The hospital I work at now was not hiring when I moved to NY, but I started volunteering there while working two other jobs to pay the bills. The hospital saw how hard I worked and they were more than happy to hire me as soon as a position became available. I worked as a veterinary assistant for over a year before I started the program at St. Petersburg, so I was already well established at the hospital. What I hear from a lot of my classmates is that they start off volunteering because they need to complete skills for school, and once the hospital sees how well they work, a lot of people get hired for full time positions.

Hey there, I sent you a message on here, I'm interested in hearing about your experience at that school! Please let me know if you see this. Thanks! I know I'm years late...