Veterans Affairs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's funny.

Before residency, I was wary of programs with VA heavy rotations.

Now, in my 3rd year of residency, I really find it a great place to work.

But, I have many colleagues who don't particularly enjoy rotations here due to the overall lack of a stimulating environment.

I personally find there to be many more pluses (namely, CPRS) than minuses.

Thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

I work for the VA and overall it's pretty good. But as they say, "if you know one VA, you know one VA." Meaning that they can really vary significantly. You're right though, CPRS is the best EMR I've ever used, and I've used many different ones in different cities during medical school, residency, and fellowship. There is surprisingly little bureaucratic crap (e.g. forms to fill out, etc.) that you have to deal with also. The work schedule is very humane (30 min folow-ups, 60/90 minute intakes, etc.) and the patients don't mind if you type up your notes while talking to them (it helps if you can type while looking at them at the same time) so time is sufficient. Hours are also decent. So, nice lifestyle and good benefits too, which help compensate for the lower pay (probably between $20-35k less than what you'd make in the community roughly).

The major drawback of being a psychiatrist in the VA is that you see so much malingering from vets trying to get service connected disability with PTSD especially. But once you get over that, it's not bad at all.

I work for the VA and overall it's pretty good. But as they say, "if you know one VA, you know one VA." Meaning that they can really vary significantly. You're right though, CPRS is the best EMR I've ever used, and I've used many different ones in different cities during medical school, residency, and fellowship. There is surprisingly little bureaucratic crap (e.g. forms to fill out, etc.) that you have to deal with also. The work schedule is very humane (30 min folow-ups, 60/90 minute intakes, etc.) and the patients don't mind if you type up your notes while talking to them (it helps if you can type while looking at them at the same time) so time is sufficient. Hours are also decent. So, nice lifestyle and good benefits too, which help compensate for the lower pay (probably between $20-35k less than what you'd make in the community roughly).

The major drawback of being a psychiatrist in the VA is that you see so much malingering from vets trying to get service connected disability with PTSD especially. But once you get over that, it's not bad at all.

Are there typically no compete clauses with VAs if you wanted to do part time private work on the side?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there typically no compete clauses with VAs if you wanted to do part time private work on the side?

No, since the VA would probably be thrilled if community providers took over the expensive and never ending mental health care of their patient population. ;) I believe you can work outside off of the VA, so long as you don't do outside work while on the clock (e.g. calling patients in your side job during your VA work day). I have a side job that I do periodically and it's not an issue at all.

I have had a super hard time getting my foot in the door...Ive been working on this for a year....super hard..please PM me if you know of a way in....

I would love to work at the VA!

It's funny.

Before residency, I was wary of programs with VA heavy rotations.

Now, in my 3rd year of residency, I really find it a great place to work.

But, I have many colleagues who don't particularly enjoy rotations here due to the overall lack of a stimulating environment.

I personally find there to be many more pluses (namely, CPRS) than minuses.

Thoughts???

Theres more money that can be made at other hospitals..but the benefits at these other places is always diminishing....

I have a friend at a VA who states he has to supervise residents, do research, and his patients have alot of substance abuse issues...if you like doing this, then it makes sense to work at a VA.

if you want a specific type of job (ie consults only) this may not be the best. You have to be very adaptable at the VA.

I have a friend at a VA who states he has to supervise residents, do research, and his patients have alot of substance abuse issues...if you like doing this, then it makes sense to work at a VA.
That's the ideal, but like imp3tigo, to know one VA is to know one VA. For every Palo Alto VA there is more than one regional hospital that is underfunded, overworked, and underwhelming. The bigger VAs with good academic appointments are great gigs, but for every job like that, there are a lot more where you're on of a small handful of psychiatrists in an undersupported CBOC.