veterinarian or vet tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmmm... I wonder if one of the reasons people don't stay as techs is because of attitudes like the ones in this thread?

In my opinion, most techs leave the profession because they haven't been managed correctly. And that is usually a fault of the veterinarians in charge. They are not given enough trust, autonomy and opportunities to expand their knowledge and challenge themselves. These opportunities are definately THERE, they're just not always utilised.

Also I think people leave because they work at a practice which isn't a good professional fit for them, get disheartened about the profession and leave.

And the pay is a big thing too.

All the older nurses I've met have been very well educated, given the opportunites to grow and challenge themselves, been well paid, and treated very well and as an equal by vets.I've met none of the crazies you guys have talked about.

I'd also be extremely reluctant to make fun of those older, experienced, "crazy" techs, DSmoody. They might dress their cats in clothes - but they will save your patient when you f*ck up as a new grad.

:)

Members don't see this ad.