Veterinary acupuncture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbles525

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about educational programs for veterinary acupuncture? I'm trying to look into it a little but I haven't been able to find any resource for research. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A quick google search brought up this, and also a larger link page- here.

The one (ex)veterinary acupuncturist I know of is dual certified, for people and animals. I don't think he went to a special vet program, though, but a normal acupuncture course, with animals included.

I think both CSU and Tufts have veterinary acupuncture workshops in summer. I believe they are only for vet students or veterianrians. You might be able to find more on their websites.

Does anyone know about educational programs for veterinary acupuncture? I'm trying to look into it a little but I haven't been able to find any resource for research. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a vet who actually went to China for several years to study acupuncture. He had clients at a barn where I used to work, and I loved watching the horses absolutely melt while he worked on them. Going to China is a lot more involved than attending workshops here in the states, but it's an idea if you're really serious about it. PM me if you want contact info for the vet I know. He may also have info about good programs here in the US. :)

also, there's an internship at ... florida?... in vet acupuncture. Saw it as I was playing around on the match site.

here it is.

j.

http://www.chi-institute.com/

The Chi Institute ;)

Dr. Xie (from UF) is one of the instructors. I've worked with Dr. Spiegel who also is a speaker for th institute. They are all very nice people and if you contact them I'm sure would be happy to give you more information.

-jared

Thanks everyone.
Right now I'm just exploring my options in general. I was kinda surprised that the AVMA doesn't recognize any certifications. I'm off to Australia in July so I'm just poking around right now. Veterinary chiropractic work and veterinary acupuncture are really picking up right now in my area so my interest was peaked.

I am currently working for an equine vet who is half way (2 out of 4 sessions) done with a program in Florida. It is only for vets, and seems to be a good program, he likes it.

One of the faculty at Iowa State University CVM sponsors a study abroad trip for students to go to China for two weeks to study acupuncture. In addition, we have a very active Holistic Club at the college and our clinical neurologist in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital is certified to practice acupuncture.