Veterinary Conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollo84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of attending 1 or 2 veterinary conferences this summer for some CE. I want to go for the experience and hopefully learn a few things, but do you think admissions care if you go to these things and put them on your application? I'm sure it doesn't hurt but just wondering what they might think of that. Hopefully they think "wow, she is trying to stay current with veterinary medicine."

Members don't see this ad.

Apollo84 said:
I was thinking of attending 1 or 2 veterinary conferences this summer for some CE. I want to go for the experience and hopefully learn a few things, but do you think admissions care if you go to these things and put them on your application? I'm sure it doesn't hurt but just wondering what they might think of that. Hopefully they think "wow, she is trying to stay current with veterinary medicine."

lol...I went to a few, but I don't even think I put them on my application. Personally I doubt it's a make or break you thing. Some seminars will be a little over your head but they're still very interesting.

What's funny is that at most places your name tag is color coded according to who you are and bascially if you're not a vet or in the position to buy things the reps won't even talk to you (this isn't in the seminars, this is the big arena of new gizmos and drugs). This one person was very happy to answer all my questions and then my jacket moved so she could see the color of my tag (and that I was a student) and she literally stoped in mid sentance and turned away...it was really a "Jez I'm a nobody moment" but very funny.

If you have the time and $ I'd go.

HorseyVet said:
Personally I doubt it's a make or break you thing...
I'd probably agree with that, but I'd definitely go ahead and put them on you VMCAS application. I wouldn't necessarily make a big deal over it, but it can't hurt. I think there is a section on the application to list extracurricular activites and the like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollo84 said:

To be honest, i cant see spending money on a conference until you've at least got some clinical instruction under your belt. Usually, these things cost a fair bit, and you wont really derive anything from them if you dont know what the lecturers are talking about.

As far as ADCOMS are concerned - its kinda transparent - i think that they will see you're doing it purely for admissions benefit.

dvm'08 said:
To be honest, i cant see spending money on a conference until you've at least got some clinical instruction under your belt. Usually, these things cost a fair bit, and you wont really derive anything from them if you dont know what the lecturers are talking about.

I think all the ones I went to were $50 for students. I only went to ones that were in a day-drive distance from me. I really wouldn't spend the extra money to attend ones that would require a long hotel stay and/or plane ride.

dvm'08 said:

As far as ADCOMS are concerned - its kinda transparent - i think that they will see you're doing it purely for admissions benefit.
I am a licensed veterinary technician, and I have been to quite a few conferences that were local and free or relatively inexpensive. Many conferences are designed for a split audience (i.e., veterinarians and technicians) so you do not necessarily have to be a veterinarian for the content to make sense. Sometimes topics are just geared toward basic animal care.
As far as the ADCOMS go, they should still give you more credit than someone who didn't bother, regardless of your reason for going.

HorseyVet said:
What's funny is that at most places your name tag is color coded according to who you are and bascially if you're not a vet or in the position to buy things the reps won't even talk to you (this isn't in the seminars, this is the big arena of new gizmos and drugs). This one person was very happy to answer all my questions and then my jacket moved so she could see the color of my tag (and that I was a student) and she literally stoped in mid sentance and turned away...it was really a "Jez I'm a nobody moment" but very funny.
Yikes! I hope you remember the name of the company she was representing and never use their products once you are a high and mighty veterinarian :laugh:.

wishes said:
I am a licensed veterinary technician, and I have been to quite a few conferences that were local and free or relatively inexpensive. Many conferences are designed for a split audience (i.e., veterinarians and technicians) so you do not necessarily have to be a veterinarian for the content to make sense. Sometimes topics are just geared toward basic animal care.
As far as the ADCOMS go, they should still give you more credit than someone who didn't bother, regardless of your reason for going.

I avoid the technician tracks like the plaque...they usually play down too much, especially at local meetings and it drives me crazy. Sometimes the bigger meetings are better. Lately, I seem to be picking sesssions by the speaker and not the topic though. ...I can't wait to get to Louisville for ACVIM this week!

HorseyVet said:

If you have the time and $ I'd go.

If you're not a buyer, then you're really taking up time that would be better spent on someone that might actually make a purchase. These meetings bring high volume, show specials and lots of clinics that are motivated to buy. While I don't ever agree with a rep being downright rude, their time is better spent with a buyer, sorry.

UKYWildcat said:
If you're not a buyer, then you're really taking up time that would be better spent on someone that might actually make a purchase. These meetings bring high volume, show specials and lots of clinics that are motivated to buy. While I don't ever agree with a rep being downright rude, their time is better spent with a buyer, sorry.

I understand this. I actually rarely ask the venders questions and if I have a question only do so if they're not busy. Many times they just start talking to you first and it's not uncharacteristic for me to stop and let them know that I'm not a buyer so that they can help other individuals. The particular vender in the story I shared initiated the converstation with me and dropped conversation even when there wasn't anyone within a mile of the booth.

I never said I assumed that that I should be treated the same as buying parties; I'm not sure why you felt a need to act as if I did..