Veterinary disinfectants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I know that this is a bit of a random question for this forum but I really needed someone's advice about this. I am a pre-vet student but what I am asking pertains to veterinary disinfectants used in your office. I was wondering if anyone has advice about disinfectants that are effective but that are also non-toxic to humans and animals. I have heard of green disinfectants that are supposed to be non-toxic? Do you have any advice about those or any others that may not be harmful? I am working in a vet office now and some of use have reacted to what we are using. We have used D128 and right now we are using Kennel Kare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know you are reacting to disinfectants? First make sure you are using them properly and at the right dilution. You could try a green disinfectant, but just because some company calls them green doesn't mean that you wont react to them. Rattlesnake venom could probably be considered green if you bottled and sold it. You should be able to find a conventional disinfectant that doesn't harm you, assuming that the disinfectant is the problem, but even if you cant find a better one I personally would rather have a slightly irritating one then use a sub-par green product and end up with salmonellosis.

Thanks for the advice...it is actually one of my coworkers who has reacted to it. Every time she gets near it she has felt dizzy...she even went to the hospital. We were thinking it might also be because it is scented but I was just wondering if there was anything better out there that some other clinics may be using..

I'm a fan of Trifectant but it is definitely not green.