Veterinary Field, and ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeterinaryLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Biology Student into my 2nd year. I just wanted to know what are the things that I should start doing, besides volunteer work, and looking at the schools. And could someone send me a link or tell many all of the veterinary fields there are, because I don't know what field I want to do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Biology Student into my 2nd year. I just wanted to know what are the things that I should start doing, besides volunteer work, and looking at the schools. And could someone send me a link or tell many all of the veterinary fields there are, because I don't know what field I want to do.

Thanks

Haha umm...so you want someone to send you a quick link explaining the entire veterinary field, yet you're already convinced you want to be a vet?

Uhm, well there's meat inspecting, exotics, research, small, large, zoo vet, and that's just what comes off the top of my head. There's much more. Google 'Veterinary fields'.

As for what you should be doing: studying, getting good grades, working at a vet clinic with a veterinarian, getting experience with animals, and finding out what courses/tests are required for the vet school(s) you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

i think you need to do a little more research on your own. this is just lazy.

Haha umm...so you want someone to send you a quick link explaining the entire veterinary field, yet you're already convinced you want to be a vet?
I am going to be a vet, but I didn't know that there were so many different fields, and all I had asked was for someone to tell me them thats it. Not your smart remark on my career choice.

i think you need to do a little more research on your own. this is just lazy.
I have done research but I am having a problem finding some information, so I had came on here to get help. And if yhou are not going to help me then don't leave a comment.

I am going to be a vet, but I didn't know that there were so many different fields, and all I had asked was for someone to tell me them thats it. Not your smart remark on my career choice.

Check this thread here for a fairly comprehensive list: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=454105

It would just seem that if you can say confidently you are going to be a vet, that you would at least know what type of vet you want to be. And what you should be doing now is volunteering in a variety of settings so you have diversified experience among the many aspects of the veterinary field.

Well you could check out the thread with that long poll of all the different types. But what are you interested in? Before I decided what I wanted to go into... i spent hours and hours and probably days doing research on schools and that career. I'm sure you want to be a vet but seriously do a lot of research now. I might be wrong, but when I was looking at schools and the "four year plans"... isn't third and fourth year when you start getting into the specifics about what you want to get into?

I'm not trying to be rude. Honestly, I didn't know I wanted to be a vet for a long time... and I never decided until I found what type of vet I wanted to be. Maybe it works different for some people... but thinking about just being a doggy and kitty vet doesn't interest me. It's when I did the research at the different colleges and career websites did I really know what I wanted to do.

I'm not saying you have to decide what field is right for you... but know the fields and get experience (jobs, volunteering, shadowing, whatever) and get different experience so it looks like you are well rounded. :)

Goodluck

Your school may have a pre-vet advisor. If researching different types of vet fields isn't working out for you, you can talk to them.

I have done research but I am having a problem finding some information, so I had came on here to get help. And if yhou are not going to help me then don't leave a comment.

I absolutely agree with julieDVM. This is just pure laziness. I too am interested in learning much more about the veterinary field as a career choice (as are the rest of us), but I've found that I've learned most by researching my questions on my own.

Demanding information and being rude on this forum is not going to get you anywhere.