Veterinary Pharmacy HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbarth101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a P3 and for our Management Class we had to create a new business and do a rather lengthy business plan. Anyway... I am assigned with the financial section of the Business Plan, and was wanting a realistic estimate of how many prescriptions a veterinary pharmacy compounds a day.

BTW, we're hiring techs at $20/hr (no benefits...) if anyone is interested!

Members don't see this ad.

How real world are you getting? Are you including acquisition costs, overhead (rent, utilities), staff, equipment, marketing, packaging, inventory carrying cost, business liability insurance, compliance/regulatory costs, etc? To greatly oversimplify things, usually you would start by assessing your more concrete or fixed costs then pro-rate these into your "anticipated" rx volume and calculate your minimum acceptable margin. This is usually where you realize that you need substantial consistent volumes to even begin overcoming barriers to entry and hit a break even point.

My intent is not to burst your bubble or make a project less fun. I think you will learn a whole lot more about pharmacy and general business if you pretend this was a real world scenario. I got my MBA during pharmacy school and thought it was a great compliment to the pharmacy education.