veterinary pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aubieRx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by someone in the pharmacy program that they have options available for PharmDs to work in animal clinics.

Does anyone know more detailed information about this option? I'd imagine it requires some extra training

Members don't see this ad.

aubieRx said:
I was told by someone in the pharmacy program that they have options available for PharmDs to work in animal clinics.

Does anyone know more detailed information about this option? I'd imagine it requires some extra training

There are vet pharm courses you could take in pharmd schools. I know that you can end up teaching or being part of the VetPharm Department in vet schools. But yeah, I've heard of some compounding pharmacists that all they do is compound meds for animals. Basically, you work with vet clinics and they refer their pts to you. Requires a lot of networking.

aubieRx said:

The field itself is reaaaaally interesting and I'm glad you mentioned it! For the most part, at many animal clinics, there is no pharmacist on staff but instead a registered Vet Tech who knows a lot about the meds that can be used for dogs/cats, as well as compounding for them. There are various specialty veterinary compounding pharmacies, many of them that operate via the internet and over the phone. With the advent of a great animal care facility in the works in SF (the SFSPCA is building a new facility/hospital), the field will definitely be growing, esp. in metropolitan areas where many dogs and cats are able to recieve the best healthcare.

I am sure the legal aspects of it all will be ironed out soon (malpractice, etc.- for now unfortunately 'pets' are not considered 'patients' though I imagine soon they will be.) but for now, it's a great idea to get some experience in a compounding pharmacy (if they will let you) so you can get an idea of how it all works. I volunteered at the SPCA hospital pharmacy and learned a LOT about various (human) drugs that are frequently adminstered to dogs and cats. It was fun- especially meeting the patients and their caregivers!

Members don't see this ad :)
My guinea pig needed medication, the vet gave me a rx and directed me to a local compounding pharmacy. He got his medication and it was even carrot flavored for him :) This pharmacy is well known in the area for compounding and specialty medications. I imagine that they probably do get a decent amount of business for animals.

aubie,
There actually is a pharmacist that works at the large animal clinic at the vet school. I'm not really clear if they have a pharmD or a PhD in pharmacology, but if you're curious about the field, you could probably contact them.

Veterinary pharmacy is one of our clerkship rotation options. There is only one site to offer that rotation, so it is probably very competitive. I select my rotations this fall, I'll post if I get chosen for this one.

dgroulx said:
Veterinary pharmacy is one of our clerkship rotation options. There is only one site to offer that rotation, so it is probably very competitive. I select my rotations this fall, I'll post if I get chosen for this one.

My ultimate dream job would be doing radiopharm at one of the big vet clinics back east. Morven Park, Rood & Riddle etc. Maybe 5 years from now they'll be ready for me :)

dontworry said:
My guinea pig needed medication, the vet gave me a rx and directed me to a local compounding pharmacy. He got his medication and it was even carrot flavored for him :) This pharmacy is well known in the area for compounding and specialty medications. I imagine that they probably do get a decent amount of business for animals.

aww that is so sweet it was carrot flavored. I have guinea pigs too and a few of them have gotten sick and been taken to vets. Once a vet recommended a medicine intended for dogs. Another time a vet gave my guinea pig a steriod shot in the shoulders after he had a stroke (I still haven't gotten over that gps death as it was my very favorite ever).

My poor piggies probably would have preferred acarrot flavored concoction mixed just for guineas.