veterinary pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantaluna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I am thinking about a career in pharmacy but specializing in veterinary pharmacy. I can not find much information on this field and was wondering if anybody is following in the same field and would be able to give my any information about it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I know very little about it; except that it has just been added as an elective rotation at my school.
It is a newer area of pharmacy. You'll be formulating drugs which animals will take.

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I am thinking about a career in pharmacy but specializing in veterinary pharmacy. I can not find much information on this field and was wondering if anybody is following in the same field and would be able to give my any information about it. Thank you.

There are very few jobs in vet pharm...a lot of them are hard to get. Nonetheless, it seems very interesting. My school also has a Vet Pharm elective. It was a lot of fun because we got to bring our pets to class!

Members don't see this ad :)
When is a vet pharmacist required? I have pets, and I always assumed that the vet techs at the vet's office filled the prescriptions without any requirement for a final signoff from a pharmacist.

You can work faculty at a vet school - UCD as example......

Otherwise...the vet hospitals use techs & write rxs for non-vet rxs which are filled at regular pharmcies.

Don't pursue it unless you want to teach in a vet hospital & you need to know vet physiology really, really well!

Hi! I wanted to thank you all for responding. The information has been helpful in my decision. Good luck to everybody. :)

I also had the same question as you...

If you read the Pfizer Guide to Pharmacy Careers there is a profile of a vet pharmacist who works at a Vet School (his job sounds very cool)

Also, I know there is/was a residency program at UC Davis for Pharmacists to work in veterinary medicine--I am not sure if other schools offer a similar kind of thing.

I would be interested to find out more about this field---salary,etc...just don't know where else to look.

I was shadowing a veterinary pharmacist and it is a really fun and interesting job. The only problem is that there are almost no positions out there for the field. Just like SDN1977 said expect to work at a Vet School. If you do want to get into this field you should look into the residency at UC Davis. I think it is the only residency out there. Good Luck.

Hi! I was wondering if anyone here has any information about problems with vet pharmacy?

I know , for example, I am currently enslaved (on rotation) at a community pharmacy that does a lot of vet compounding.
We receive RX's that sometimes have codes like SID (which means QD).
This can easily be read as BID...
So, are there any sites or information out there about problems like this with vet codes going out to retail pharmacy?
thnx!

Hi! I was wondering if anyone here has any information about problems with vet pharmacy?

I know , for example, I am currently enslaved (on rotation) at a community pharmacy that does a lot of vet compounding.
We receive RX's that sometimes have codes like SID (which means QD).
This can easily be read as BID...
So, are there any sites or information out there about problems like this with vet codes going out to retail pharmacy?
thnx!
Sorry, I don't know of any sites, but I was curious if you knew any other wacky sig codes that only vets use. I only know of SID. We learned about it in school, and I was like, I'm never gonna see that....Then a few days later at work, we got a prescription that said SID. None of the pharmacists had any idea what it was! I felt good when they took my word for it that it was daily, when I was just a first-year pharm student!