Veterinary School Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelsD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! Just a general question, Im super open to advice also!

I graduated from UCF with my Bachelors in Environmental Sciences/ Interdisciplinary studies so I have a pretty broad range of classes. I had a tough first two years so of course my gpa was suffering but it went up alot in my last two years (very very slowly, believe me im still mad at myself for my first two years of college). I ended with a 2.999 GPA. :( .Not great at all. i put off even thinking about Vet school because I had my son my junior year of college and I got very involved in being a zookeeper, but zookeepers jobs firstly do not pay well at all and they are hard to come by. Right now I work in the field of environmental sciences instead because of those two things.

I always wanted to become a vet. i have a great deal of animal experience from being a zookeeper for 3+ years but not alot of medical or veterinary related animal experience. I have experience in a wide variety of other fields too but that doesnt quite help me with this too much. I also do not have all prerequisites for the programs. I just picked a random program and looked at those prereqs to see what they were (UF) and plotted out what I would need.

So far I know I need:
The chemistry classes (I have chem 1 but didnt do so great so I would think taking it over would be the best bet). (So i need chem 1/2, Orgo 1/2)

I need the physics (1/2) classes

Calculus

Biochem classes

Genetics

microbio

Animal sciecnes and nutrition

These are the prereqs I would need to even apply to a school seeing as my degree didnt require any of these so I didnt take them. So i guess my question is: If i took these all and gained more experience in like a vet clinic or somewhere else and I did very well in these classes ( i know I can I did alot better my last two years in school and that was with much added stress of having a newborn by myself), and raised my gpa up considerably a little more would there be any chance of acceptance anywhere? Or does anyone have any advice or suggestions on a different path to take ? Also i live in florida so hopefully I wanted to stay within Florida.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a what are my chances sticky thread in the main pre vet forums for you to post in. Check it out. People are helpful there but you may have to be patient.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a what are my chances sticky thread in the main pre vet forums for you to post in. Check it out. People are helpful there but you may have to be patient.
OK THANKS! ILL CHECK IT OUT!