SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Veternary Surgeon?

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by Kookie, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. Kookie

    Kookie MoM_2_MeD

    Aug 25, 2007
    New York
    Is there a such thing?...and if so what schooling would one need?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lenadeb

    lenadeb UF CVM Vet Student 2+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2007
    No. But there is such a thing as a veterinary surgeon.

    Undergraduate college, 4 years usually, then 4 years vet school, then 3+ more years to get to be a board certified surgeon. I would set aside at least 12 years for start-to-finish out of high school.

    "Veterinarians wishing to become board certified must complete a three-year residency program, meet specific training and caseload requirements, perform research and have their research published. This process is supervised by current ACVS Diplomates, ensuring consistency in training and adherence to high standards. Once the residency has been completed, the resident must sit for and pass a rigorous examination. Only then does the veterinarian earn the title of ACVS Diplomate."
  4. tealamutt

    tealamutt WSU class of 2012 2+ Year Member

    Dec 18, 2007
    also veterinary surgeon is what DVM's are called in the UK (or used to be...)
  5. Electrophile

    Electrophile Working Dog Doc 7+ Year Member

    Sep 1, 2007
    Columbia, Missouri
    Being a surgeon and a board certified surgeon are two different things by a long shot though.

Share This Page