Video Games in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Add me on league peeps: On My Wings

To add to the discussion, I think vid games are fine, but it's all about priorities. Family, school, exercise, etc, all those come first. Once it starts impeding your grades or relationships, stop that crap! I had a buddy who literally played WoW nonstop he lost damn near all his friends for it. He had to quit cold turkey because he couldn't "just play a little." Some people just can't control their addictions. I also enjoy unwinding after an exam by pub stomping some noobs in Halo or League, but I always make sure everything else is taken care of first.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess not many people play RTS in SDN land. I binged the crap out of SC2 legacy of the void the weekend it came out. Was a huge SC1 and broodwar fan, after I saw the SC2 trailer (and saw it again x300 times) I had to get it. Once weekend finished, I reluctantly uninstalled, only to hear whispers of "my life for aiur" echoing in the background.

I can only be all in or all out with video games, no in between. When Christmas break comes I might fire it up to relive the glory of times past, but it will be a fleeting moment, a far cry from the warm summers of gaming with wanton abandon. Gaming is a part of me that cannot co-exist with my current goals, and it has thus found its way in the deep catacombs of my memory, to be reborn sparingly and cautiously.

I used to be decent at brood war and was a masters terran for wings of liberty
really want to buy heart of swarm and legacy but i'm wondering if i should just wait until interview season is over

What's there to disagree about? I already stated it was an addiction - I'm glad you aren't addicted but each person has their own weaknesses. If I play video games, my time management vaporizes.

I think the important thing is - don't do something if you know you will lose control. Not playing at all is my time management.

Congrats on your top quartile? :confused:

My disagreement was with you telling OP that he personally definitely needs to quit gaming by MS2 based off your experiences, as I have had a very different experience. I was just saying that everybody's time management is different, and he will find out on his own whether or not he can keep gaming. Some people can and some people can't.

Members don't see this ad :)
League is for noobs. Dota2 4 lyfe.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi folks,
I don't know how I ended up in this forum but I am a fully qualified GP and I find it really sad for people to give up what they like for the sake of studying or working... It is not healthy, you need to have a good work/studying-life balance. I have always loved video games since the age of 10. Starting from MSX platform (where the first MGS was released by Konami), Sega (Mortal Kombat was the best), PS1 (Syphon Filter and RE2 and SH1), PS2 (DMC and SH2/3), PS3 (Prince of Persia, Uncharted, BF3) and lastly PS4 (Bloodborne, Dying light, BF4), and lastly PC (Overwatch, CSGO and BF4).
I am a member of the RCGP, has MSc in Medical Genetics and I work pretty much full time (in a practice + locuming) , married with a 3yr old son and recently built a powerful gaming PC (VR ready) with i7 6700k and GTI 980Ti ... Do not give up one of the best hobbies ever that is video gaming. I even infected my wife who also started playing Battlefield with me (she is not a medic if you ask).
Keep it up, you can still do both and do not listen to those who say things like 'doctors don't have time to play video games', I have few friends who are surgeons and physicians and who play videogames .. All the best and keep it up ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Meanwhile, here I am worrying about how to pay for medical school while planning the parts for my new, VR-capable gaming rig...

Reactions: 1 user
Picked up Hearthstone. Pretty good. Also provides a little WoW nostalgia.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been playing tons of tales of zesteria lately...I love me some good jRPGs. Still waiting to free up some money so I can go out and buy Uncharted 4

Reactions: 1 users
If you treat it as something you do when you don't need to work (similar to how some people might view netflix or youtube), you shouldn't have a problem. They only become a problem if they interfere with your work.

I will say that YouTube is my weakness and I wind up watching a ton of it during study breaks. I have ADD, though, and even on 40mg Ritalin LA it is a struggle to go longer than 45 minutes of studying without a break. Thankfully I've still done well, but I waste a massive amount of time on this.

When I was in high school, I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time on flight simulators like X-Plane and a decent amount of time on Call of Duty 2. I left most of this stuff behind before college but will occasionally still play video games with friends if I'm over someone's apartment and they're playing.

Honestly, though, in third year it is hard to spend much time on hobbies in general. I've only even seen my family like once this year, I don't have the time to go surfing, etc. Some rotations are better than others but a lot of them are just too consuming, time wise. Maybe some other people who don't have ADD are more efficient than I am and find this easier, but I have a hard time with it.

Last edited:
Expecting ~8 or less ping to the LoL server once I'm in med school

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile