Video Games Make Better Laparoscopic Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingTutATL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess all those hours spent playing Goldeneye and Halo will pay off one day.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4685909/

"I use the same hand-eye coordination to play video games as I use for surgery," said Dr. James "Butch" Rosser, 49, who demonstrated the results of his study Tuesday at Beth Israel Medical Center.

http://www.newstarget.com/005339.html

Something nice to know.

Members don't see this ad.

This bodes welll for me! I knew mom was wrong! ;)

i keep an xbox in my office at work....working my way through doom 3 right now. i think it helps the lap skills...

TNS

Members don't see this ad :)
BS, I played video games all the time and my lap skills suck ass. I'm good with the camera, but I have a weird ass time grabbing things, etc. Maybe I'm just the one idiot that playing video games didn't help.

Judo,

You've just got to operate more...running the camera is a good start, but you've got to get your hands on two instruments to develop the ability to mentally convert a 2D image into a 3D space..in your mind...at some point, that skill will 'click' and you're operative effeciency will improve amazingly fast...there is a point where one can even 'feel' tissue through the instruments...pretty cool.

1. do you have access to a pig lab?
2. have you tried to become ambidextrous when you operate?
3. do you access to a mirror trainer?

Keep at it, its a lot of fun.

TNS

As far as numbers 1 and 3 go, no, since I haven't even started med school, but I'm already ambidextrous as far as operating goes (i'm a scrub nurse in a hospital with no residents, so we first assist on all the cases). I can suture with both hands, cut with both hands, etc. It's just using those damn graspers. Pisses me off. Plus, I get a little sick when I'm looking at the camera for a while. Surgery is probably out of the question.

Maybe somone just needs to invent some sort of Xbox adapter so you can just plug your controller in. I don't know much about it. The way you're talking i'm assuming that there are two seperate mini joysticks?

I was lucky enough to take this guy's course while I was doing a sub-I at BIDMC. It rocked.