Video Recording of your Lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Darcy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Hello,

I would like to get my medical school to record lectures. To do this I thought I would present a list of those schools that currently record and/or post on the net lectures.

Please reply if your school records lectures.
1. What form is the recording (power point, video camera)
2. Post on web y/n
3. How long before you can get it
4. How many classes
5. Available to the others (if so url)
6. Streaming
7. How do you view them

In the end any information would be great.

Thanks!
Evan Smith, MSII

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Hello,

I would like to get my medical school to record lectures. To do this I thought I would present a list of those schools that currently record and/or post on the net lectures.

Please reply if your school records lectures.
1. What form is the recording (power point, video camera)
2. Post on web y/n
3. How long before you can get it
4. How many classes
5. Available to the others (if so url)
6. Streaming
7. How do you view them

In the end any information would be great.

Thanks!
Evan Smith, MSII

Streaming doesn't make sense IMHO -- you want it in a MP3/AVI/WMP form, posted as a complete file on the web available for download later the same day, viewable by any computer (or maybe PDA/iPod) that can download and run movies. It shouldn't be available to others for copyright reasons (so don't expect any urls).

Almost every school does this. Where's the resistance at yours? Is it economic? The only other issue I can imagine is if a school wants people to go to class. Offering video of lectures cuts attendance in half or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please say what medical school posts lectures. - Thanks

Clearly not all do, although I know that Case Western does.

My school has been doing videostreaming for a long time. They used to do it in Real format where it's just a digital recording. Recently, they switched to Apresio which is a much better technology. The video is shown in a browser and uses several frames. One frame is for the recording so you know what the prof is doing. The main frame shows whatever powerpoint slide is being discussed. The slide is very clear because it's a direct digital capture unlike if you were trying to tape a powerpoint presentation shown on a screen. Videostreaming is essential if you want to avoid going to class. Hence, why only 15% of the class shows up for lecture. Audio is not enough.

The videos are posted on a secure site so only authorized users can access them, usually available a few minutes after each lecture is done. We can also download the entire videos so that we don't have to videostream. If you have the entire video file, then you can watch everything at 2x!

At Baylor it works like this:
1. Video camera controlled by a full time employee, I think we have 3 AV guys between the 1st and 2nd years
2. Posted on intranet that is accessed by proxy or VPN
3. Officially posted by 5 pm the day of the lecture. You can usually get it right after the lecture though
4. I would say 90% of the classes are recorded. Things that are not recorded are labs, interactive sessions, and patient presentations
5. Not avalible to anyone else
6. Streaming
7. We have to use realplayer. My personal setup includes Enounce so I can speed up the lectures (I find 2x works pretty good) and 2 19 inch monitors. I watch the video on one and have the syllabus document open on the other to read along/take notes.

You can have video without the streaming. If people download the files and watch them on their own machines you don't get the traffic issues of streaming, I believe.

You get the same traffic issues whether the video is streaming or downloadable. Bandwidth is bandwidth and the same amount of information needs to be transfered in either format. The reason that my school, Baylor, uses streaming video over downloadable videos is copyright infringement. They are worried that if a video can be downloaded it can be posted somewhere else and someone outside of the school can see how much stuff is actually ripped off.

At Baylor it works like this:
1. Video camera controlled by a full time employee, I think we have 3 AV guys between the 1st and 2nd years
2. Posted on intranet that is accessed by proxy or VPN
3. Officially posted by 5 pm the day of the lecture. You can usually get it right after the lecture though
4. I would say 90% of the classes are recorded. Things that are not recorded are labs, interactive sessions, and patient presentations
5. Not avalible to anyone else
6. Streaming
7. We have to use realplayer. My personal setup includes Enounce so I can speed up the lectures (I find 2x works pretty good) and 2 19 inch monitors. I watch the video on one and have the syllabus document open on the other to read along/take notes.

Hopkins and HMS use identical systems as above. 2nd year wouldn't have been the same without 2xav!