Views on BIDMC? and Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3unsure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Wondering what everyone thinks about BIDMC. I don't hear much about this program compared to say Brigham and MGH, but it seems to be just as good. Any current residents or graduates can fill me in? I understand pain/regional is relatively strong, but what about critical care training? Any weaknesses about the training or resident lifestyle (ex: hours/wk, faculty behavior)?

Not anesthesia related, but how is it living in Boston for 3/4 years? Do you find it easy to meet and hang out with non-medical people? Or do you find yourself drowning in a sea of undergraduates (ex: Ann Arbor) and physicians? I believe that there is a financial district so I assume there are other people around and working.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious too.

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not anesthesia related, but how is it living in Boston for 3/4 years? Do you find it easy to meet and hang out with non-medical people? Or do you find yourself drowning in a sea of undergraduates (ex: Ann Arbor) and physicians? I believe that there is a financial district so I assume there are other people around and working.

I just moved to Boston for my internship. I'm happy to be living here. The population is definitely young (younger than I'm used to) and it is definitely very easy to meet non-medical people who aren't undergraduates, aren't physicians or hospital employees, and who are close to your age. There are lots of tech, biotech, computer and engineering professionals as well as researchers, consultants, etc. Rent is expensive. Parking is not easy but we have two cars and we get by (and are thankful for the cars). You can easily live in the center of Boston with no car (and save money that way too) -- walks are short as the city itself is a small geographic space, and the T (subway) goes to pretty much every place you need. June and September weather are gorgeous -- July/August are a little humid but definitely not as extreme as other parts of the country. Winters (January, February) are chilly and windy and we get one or two big snowstorms a year, but not as extreme as the midwest.

as a CA-1 at BID, I agree 100% w/ what LakerJock wrote in a previous post (see above link). This is a good summary. I couldn't be happier with my experience thus far. The training is excellent. The vast majority of attendings are superb teachers, and there are many nationally recognized names on our faculty. A weakness in the past has been regional, but this has done a complete 180 over the past few months due to changes in the regional rotation format (now there is a block resident, and the numbers have gone up dramatically). Cardiac is to-notch, and you will do many big cases even as a CA-1 (1 month of vascular, cardiac, and OB). Plenty of OB experience (over 100 epidurals as a CA-1). As far as quality, I definitely feel like I'm at a "top tier" program. Reputation varies depending on who you talk to, but I'm confident that the BID name is well-known and respected. None of the seniors I know have had any trouble with jobs or fellowships.
Glad to take inquiries.

Winters (January, February) are chilly and windy and we get one or two big snowstorms a year, but not as extreme as the midwest.

I agreed with most of your post until that one :p I spent a winter in boston and that was NO JOKE ;)

I agreed with most of your post until that one :p I spent a winter in boston and that was NO JOKE ;)

Hahaha... yeah this year has been by far the mildest in 5 years... Don't assume Boston winters are always like this!!! ;)