Views on UC Davis, Loma Linda, Univ of Az and Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcflex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on these programs beyound what their website says - e.g. strengths of programs, lifestyle of residents, likelihood of getting an interview if you rotate through as a 4th year, etc. Any pros or cons to these programs would me great. also any other amazing programs in that area (west) that are not pedigree/MD-PhD heavy?

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado's a real solid program. I interviewed there this past winter and was very impressed all around with the department. Some notable faculty, especially the Chair, Dr. Gaspar, and Dr. Kavanaugh, one of the world leaders in SBRT. All the other faculty were very solid as well, with strong academic publication records and solid pedigrees (i.e. MSK, Hopkins, Harvard). Dr. Raben is a very dynamic personality with a billion projects going on, and definitely pushes residents to publish as the first authors on most of his work. One of there residents, who I believe is a 3rd year, already has like ~12 first author pubs, which is more than just about anywhere else in the country can claim. There were previously some questions regarding case volume, but it seems that is getting less problematic with the growth of the U of C Cancer Center. The location was a little shadyish/boring, located in Aurora, roughly 20-30 mins from downtown Denver with virtually nothing around there (from what I could surmise from my 20 hours spent there). The residents also seemed very cool, probably the most normal and chill of any residents i met on the interview trail (same could be said for the attendings), and seemed to have good camaraderie. They were an athletic bunch, kind of a rarity in any field of medicine but especially rad onc, with several former D1 athletes (one dude's a former Kansas b-ball player who played with Paul Pierce. As a Celts fan, I kinda loved that). If you're up for the location off the beaten path, I think it's one of the better programs out there, especially if you're looking to be academically prolific and get excellent SBRT training (IMHO a valuable skill to be able to market in the coming years).