Villanova/Drexel BS/MD Program versus Pre-Med then Applying to Med Schools

shadyscholar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a new member i just created an account because i've been struggling with a college decision and i was hoping for some insight.

My decision is between

7 year program at Villanova/Drexel

versus

University of Pittsburgh Honors- regular pre med full tuition

University of Maryland Honors -regular pre med only 20k a year

I am very confident that I want to do medicine but I wasn't that interested in the seven-year programs at first, I only applied because my mom said it couldn't hurt.

Now having received an acceptance into the villanova drexel seven year program I'm confused as to what to do, because of what i've heard about the difficulties of getting into med school and how competitive it may be, and basically the possibility of not getting in after doing four years of undergraduate study somewhere else.

from what i've managed to gather Drexel Med School is a decent med school but on the very expensive end of the spectrum

My parents are very much into the seven year route because of the guaranteed acceptance and the lessened stress that they will have to deal with for the next 3/4 years.

additionally, villanova is a private school with typical private school fees around 50k a year and not a school i would ever consider had it not been for the program

should i suck it up and accept the program knowing i'll graduate with an MD from DUCOM or should i take the cheaper undergrad and apply to a variety of med schools and have a choice in the decision?

any advice or insight would be helpful

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No brainer. UPitt.
Only a small amount of premed students actually become med students. People's minds change. You dont know if yours will or not.

No brainer. UPitt.
Only a small amount of premed students actually become med students. People's minds change. You dont know if yours will or not.

I'd definitely agree, but I would add that medical school has about a 40% acceptance rate (40% of the applicants get accepted somewhere) so if you still want to go to medical school and you're an intelligent enough person to get a full tuition scholarship, I imagine that will not be much of a problem for you.

Starting medical school without much/any undergraduate debt is a big plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah my decision was to reject the bs/md as well, the only reason it turned into such a dilemma is because everyone, doctors, premed and med students, and family that i talked to all advised me to go to the program because the guarantee in their minds was worth more than the cost which i would definitely be able to pay back according to them

what i'm most worried about is rejecting the bs/md and then four years down the road not getting into a med school and feeling like an idiot knowing i passed up a great opportunity

yeah my decision was to reject the bs/md as well, the only reason it turned into such a dilemma is because everyone, doctors, premed and med students, and family that i talked to all advised me to go to the program because the guarantee in their minds was worth more than the cost which i would definitely be able to pay back according to them

what i'm most worried about is rejecting the bs/md and then four years down the road not getting into a med school and feeling like an idiot knowing i passed up a great opportunity

I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago. I chose the BS/MD route, mainly because cost wasn't a huge factor. Actually, it was, but the undergrad I chose isn't nearly as expensive as Villanova. What kind of financial aid did Villanova give you? If it's all in loans, I wouldn't take the BS/MD acceptance mainly because of the undergrad debt that you would put yourself through. It just wouldn't be worth it. If there is anyway to reduce that 50k undergrad tuition, I would say go for the program.

i just keep thinking it from the point of view as

accepting the seven year is squandering your potential to do the best you possibly can

declining the seven year is risking your future in case you won't make it back to this point

and thats where im stumped

If you really feel like you won't be able to handle the competition of the med school app process,then go for the guaranteed one. You'll be in much more debt.

Personally, to go into 200k+ in debt for an undergrad degree is ridiculously stupid. You'll most likely max out your fed loans and have to go with private loan companies, which will leave you into more debt. Drexler med is over 70k alone per year so youre looking at about 500k in the hole. and thats before interest starts piling up.

If you really feel like you won't be able to handle the competition of the med school app process,then go for the guaranteed one. You'll be in much more debt.

Personally, to go into 200k+ in debt for an undergrad degree is ridiculously stupid. You'll most likely max out your fed loans and have to go with private loan companies, which will leave you into more debt. Drexler med is over 70k alone per year so youre looking at about 500k in the hole. and thats before interest starts piling up.

This. If you can't manage to lower the tuition that you'll have to pay in undergrad, then it is completely not worth it. I had a hard time with my choice mainly because of med school costs, but my father and I were able to work it out that I wouldn't have any debt from undergrad and only some debt from med school. That is ultimately what you should aim for.

TL;DR -
200k in UNDERGRAD debt is not worth it.

One of my best friends is actually in the villanova/drexel 7 year program, and he absolutely loves it. He didnt wanna go to villanova either, but he seriously talks about it 24/7 now, and hes made a lot of friends. Its wayyyyyy much less stress knowing youre guaranteed, however, he's always been dead set on medicine. I would definitely say do it, if you decide not to be premed, you can always drop the program.