Virginia and South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salmon123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know about Path at the University of Virginia and the Medical University of South Carolina? Helpful info would include reputation, training for private practice vs. academic, any problems that anybody has heard of, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UVA last year. I think they have a good reputation. The great majority of their residents end up in private practice. I'm not aware of any major problems.

I did not interview at MUSC.

Sorry I don't have much more info!

Loved MUSC. It was my second choice, highly recommend looking there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak about what I saw on my interview. Like the previous poster, they have a good reputation. I really liked the program a lot. I think it is a very strong program.

Check out the city Charlottesville. When they told me the most exciting thing that was coming to town was Target, I realized spending the next 4 years was not for me.

Both are strong programs with strong reputations. You can't go wrong with either one. My impression from my interviews (this was several years ago) was that UVA was a little more "intense" and the residents were working late hours on surgpath. However, UVA has many well known faculty and produces well trained pathologists. MUSC has a very strong network of alumni in the southeast so you would be in good shape for a private practice job within the southeast regionally.

I was curious in regards to what other schools are similar in ranking as Univ of south carolina?

Napolean- you mentioned it was your second choice. What other schools did you look at?

Thanks for the help.

Hello it has been awhile since I posted on this forum. I interviewed at both and am now at UVA. I loved both places, but I chose UVA because of the quality of faculty, residents and Charlottesville. I am sure I would have been happy at both though.

Regarding UVA. We have amazing faculty (just look at teh major texts and journals in path). More importantly than that, you will work with all of them starting year one. I signed out with Drs. Mills, Wick, Stelow, Lopes, Atkins etc various times just during my first year.

What really influenced me most though was how well prepared the residents were. Yes you do work here on surg path, but it is reasonable and I dont think it is very much different than anywhere else. You will probably be at work until 7-9 pm each weeknight on surgpath (you do not come in very much if at all during the weekends). However, every other rotation is essentially 8-5 pm. Importantly, you have ownership over all your cases and the surgeons contact you with questions. And we have graded responsibility and a lot of trust put in us by the attendings.

As for Charlottesville, yes it is not a big city. However, I have never heard anyone say the only thing to do is go to Target. There is a ton to do here. It is a university town adn there are many activities. There are lots of music events here from U2 to the more trendy bands. The biggest plus is that everyone does outdoor activities here (biking, hicking, etc.). Shopping isnt great but I think everyone buys things on-line now anyways. Lot of great restaurants, microbrews, etc. And surprisingly lots of culture.

As for where people go, if you interview here we have a resident news posting that lists where people go. I think we have a few more people who go into private practice, but just in teh last few years, we have had people take academic jobs at UVA, Emory, B&W, East Carolina, and Clevand Clinic. Finally, people also get really good fellowships both here and elswhere (we also have a very strong dermpath program that takes 3 people a year!).

Ill be happy to answer any questions.