Virginia Tech Carilion SOM vs UofA COM - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

floppy_zoppy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! Was accepted off the waitlist at UACOM-P yesterday and wanted to ask opinions about these programs and advice on where I should go!

COA is about the same, both schools P/F preclinical and H/HP/P for clinical. Hoping to match back to SoCal for residency but specialty>location.

VTCSOM
Pros
- Small class size (stronger relationships with docs/profs?)
- Integrated research in curriculum (not sure how much I like research, but I recognize it is required to match well so I will do it)
- Case based learning
- Home hospital (Carilion Memorial)
- Roanoke is a smaller city (not as much to do -> less distraction?)
- NBME Preclerkship exams

Cons
- Small class size (not as much networking, alumni network, etc)
- Newer school
- Roanoke is a smaller city (pro and con)
- Far from home (SoCal)
- Only one healthcare system (Carilion)


I do not know as much about UACOM-P so please let me know if I have left out relevant information and please share any other data points you think can help in my decision!

UACOM-P
Pros
- Larger urban city (more to do?)
- More diverse patient population
- Organ block curriculum
- More than one clinical site
- Driving distance to home (SoCal)

Cons
- Larger urban city (more distractions?)
- Larger class size
- Not the only medical school in Phoenix
- No home hospital (but close working relationship with Banner Health and other clinical partners)
- In-house preclerkship exams


Overall, I feel like VTCSOM is a better program, but UACOM-P is a better place to be. At this time, I think I would prefer being in a larger city over a smaller one. Regarding specialties, I am interesting in something partially clinical and partially surgical (for example ENT) but I recognize that this may change. Thank you in advance for all of your help and responses!
 
Have you visited both campuses? Bluntly, Roanoke is not Phoenix. Roanoke isn't SoCal either, while Phoenix is... well, hotter than SoCal.

If you're worried about distractions in Phoenix, pray the air conditioning works in the library. Being distracted in Roanoke to me is getting lost in the Appalachians and your cell phone rings while hiking. 😉