Virginia Tech vs Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blizzetta

Reaction score
Hello,

I am deciding between Virginia Tech and Upstate. I am leaning towards Virginia Tech due to their better step scores and research opportunities, which is something I am very interested in. However, as a New York state resident, I can't tell if I would be making a mistake by going to VTC.

VTC Pros:
1. Research focused which is one of my strengths and will help me match into a more competitive specialty plus a large home hospital
2. International medical experience opportunities for 4th year medical students
3. Good weather, good nature, and okay location in a small city in Virginia

VTC Cons:
1. In class Mon-Fri which does not allow me much freedom which I prefer
2. I am a little worried about the smaller class size (~50) and what it might mean for finding friends and community
2.The location which is far from my family, friends, and boyfriend in the northeast (~14 hours car ride)
3. More expensive than Upstate by about 10K a year if I don't get any scholarships, plus a slightly higher COL (apartments $800-1200 a month)

Upstate Pros:
1. I would be closer to my family at Upstate (5~ hours drive)
2. In-state tuition, and lower COL with nice apartments available for ~$500-600 a month
3. Larger class size and in a university area so I may have a better shot at finding friends
4. Classes recorded and not mandatory in person so a lot more freedom

Upstate Cons:
1. I am not a huge fan of the Syracuse area and do not like the winter AT ALL.
2. Not particularly researched focused, current students there mentioned they have to "go out and get it" if they want research opportunities which sounds unstructured
3. A few students I've spoken to do not seem very happy there and expressed they went because it was the only school they got into (I'm sure other students have better experiences I just didnt that vibe)
4. Lower step scores

What do you guys think? The cost is a big factor for me but so is my general happiness. I think both schools have a lot to offer. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.