VIRMP Ref Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katalinay

KSU c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering about ref letters for the Match. I'm trying to march for a small animal rotating to pursue a internal medicine residency. I have one internist at my school that offered to write me a strong letter of recommendation, which I of course accepted. I think that another one could also write me a strong letter. Is it wrong to ask two internists? There are other people that would write me strong letters but I'm not sure what the etiquette is.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing is to get great letters. Having two from internists is OK.

Reactions: 1 user
For a rotating it’s ideal to have letters from some of the “big” specialties. So IM, surgery, ECC, possibly anesthesia.

When I was evaluating internship applicants for us we really wanted an ECC (our program had a pretty busy/intense ER), but at least some IM/Sx. Applicants who only had ancillary specialties were considered a red flag, as were applicants where every single letter was from the same specialty. That being said, we had a number of IM-focused applicants with multiple IM letters and that was fine as long as they also had 1-2 letters from a different speciality.

For internship I had an ECC letter, 2 IM letters, and Sx letter. For residency I had 3 ECC letter and an IM letter.

Reactions: 1 user