Virology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinophile

MetalHead
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you saw a lot of virology on your boards? My class didn't exactly go over a ton of virology, just the basics of viral replication with a few cases about specific viruses like HAV-HEV, RSV, HIV and influenza. Trying to sort them all out now into +RNA vs -RNA and enveloped vs. naked through rote memorization isn't sticking, so I'm wondering if that rote memorization time (copy over and over again for an hour or so) would be better used in biochem or if virology is a significant part of the test.

Thanks a ton for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

How many of you saw a lot of virology on your boards? My class didn't exactly go over a ton of virology, just the basics of viral replication with a few cases about specific viruses like HAV-HEV, RSV, HIV and influenza. Trying to sort them all out now into +RNA vs -RNA and enveloped vs. naked through rote memorization isn't sticking, so I'm wondering if that rote memorization time (copy over and over again for an hour or so) would be better used in biochem or if virology is a significant part of the test.

Thanks a ton for any input!

as someone who hates virology, wondering this as well.

i thought the best way to learn that dumb +/- evelope crap was to just make a big chart and do practice problems for micro... every time that virus comes up look back at your chart. Trying to brute force memorize them all at the same time just gave me a headache.

I was in the same boat as the OP not really knowing the structures of the viruses very well. I just took my test yesterday and I'd say that if you do what I did, that should be ample for virology on Step 1. As is common knowledge, virology isn't overly emphasized, so studying it requires prioritizing the most impt viruses and if not for the boards, at least for what we'll see on the wards/practice. So anyway, in 4 steps here is what I did:

1. Getting down the positive stranded RNA viruses is what I took to be the main priority as it has the most viruses that I remembered studying in school.

2. then the most important negative stranded viruses are either orthomyxo or paramyxo. Orthomyxo is easy (only flu), and PaRaMyxo is easy once you have that "PRM" mnemonic down. Both have the word "mix" which I took to mean "mixed" up RNA, therefore negative stranded.

3. Then slowly I added to it, such as Reovirus being the major dsRNA viruses, and then taking the most major viruses and working down from there adding to it trying to fit some dumb mnemonic to help me remember as I saw the viruses come up in kaplan Q's. Just FYI, those random encephalitis viruses were the last thing I even attempted to fit in to my scheme.

4. I also wrote down all of the microbio mnemonics in 1st Aid on a sheet of paper as I was studying, that way I could do a quick reference anytime I was studying, like if a bug/virus came up during path study, I would take 30sec to try to remember as much as I could about it.

Hope this helps, good luck!