Virtual Reality Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPBest

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have the DentSim virtual reality machines at NSU, and I know they have them at Case. I was wondering what other schools have them and what the opinions are of those who have used them.

So far I have used them for preparing amalgam restorations, RCT access cavities and Full-Gold crown prep.

My opinion, and I think most of my class agrees is that it is a waste of time. One of the biggest problems is the baseball bat sized handpiece. Combine that with the limited motion you have in order to keep the LED's in view of the camera and it is virtually UNreality.

The only good thing is the immediate and unbiased feedback, but my work in the VR lab is only half as good as my work in the mannequin.

Members don't see this ad.

worthless ... I definitely prefer the kavo labs

The sensors aren't ever that accurate for me.

Do you have to spend much time in the VR labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
UTDental said:
I agree. Worthless.

Apparently now that we're doing maxillary teeth in operative they decided we would learn better on the dentsim than on the kavo lab. It's infuriating to try to use it. Cutting a class 1 on #5 was pretty much impossible compared to the regular lab.

I don't think they could sell these things on ebay ... they're worthless