Virtual Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

I attended a seminar regarding clinical exposure during COVID. The adcom had stated that virtual shadowing would be acceptable during these times and started saying it is the future of training medical students as well (being virtual). What is your input on this? Is it just a different scenario with each school? They did place emphasis on DPC over things like scribing too wanting to develop practical skills like those EMTs would use in an ambulance such as incubating patients and whatnot.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it hurts to have virtual shadowing but I just can't imagine putting it on my application and passing it off as the same thing as in-person shadowing. I could watch a youtube video and get the same thing out of it. I guess my question for the adcoms would be: what good things does virtual shadowing show about an applicant? In-person shadowing at least shows you have some kind of people skills and the motivation to ask to shadow doctors.

I would try and find a job that allows you to do both scribe and have DPC. My scribe job allows both and I have gained an abundance of knowledge from such.

However, I did not get to incubate anyone. I have assisted with intubations though.

Reactions: 1 user
did anyone of you receive a certificate for virtually shadowing? If so, I'm wondering how you uploaded your certificate