Virtual vs IRL 2021-2022 Fellowship interview season?

Started by omgitsang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

omgitsang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think there's been an official announcement yet as we are still a ways away. Just trying to get my schedule sorted for PGY3 and virtual vs in person would have an impact on how I choose my schedule. Anecdotes welcome 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
on a webinar I recently attending with several PEM program directors, they were saying they think it'll be mostly virtual, unforunately.
 
The APPD has recommended that all interviews be virtual again this year. Whether all programs has decided to do so is still TBD, but I know we are sticking with virtual.
 
Why are they making this recommendation? Everyone is vaccinated now, and it's so much better for applicants to physically see the place where they may work at for the next 3 years. I don't get it.
 
I think there is a sense that fellowships should follow the residency plan and that residencies are not prepared to go in person due to travel limits by institutions, personal risks, etc. Not saying I agree, but it seems to be a strong perspective in most if not all fields including pediatrics. I think longer term there will be a lot of discussion about how much interviewing at all levels of the medical hierarchy go in-person instead of virtual.