Viruses and UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tideleonheart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like a lot (40%?) of virus questions on UW seem to be not answerable from FA. But then I heard from people that FA is all you need for micro.

Have you all experienced this? Are the virology questions on USMLE pretty straightforward?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like a lot (40%?) of virus questions on UW seem to be not answerable from FA. But then I heard from people that FA is all you need for micro.

Have you all experienced this? Are the virology questions on USMLE pretty straightforward?

There might be a few questions not in FA but 40% is very high overestimation. I just did all the micro question today and it was more like 8% that were not in FA.

The questions do give you other clues you can use to answer.

In any case, I have heard FA is enough for what you need to know.

There might be a few questions not in FA but 40% is very high overestimation. I just did all the micro question today and it was more like 8% that were not in FA.

Alright :) I'll just keep on focusing on FA. I guess I just don't know it well enough!

I don't remember many virus questions from my test, maybe a couple on hepatitis. The FA Micro section is pretty thorough, especially because they have a systems based approach at the end. You probably won't need to know any more than what's in there....

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt that most of the virology questions in UW were covered in FA. There were a few that weren't, but not that many.

I didn't bother memorizing the structure, enveloped, RNA or DNA (yes which is kind of bad) but I knew it's pretty low yield to begin with and I just knew a few of them like HIV, herpes, adeno, just the really common ones from class or whatever. I had 0 about that, but I have a few questions on EBV, CMV, parainfluenza, and more or less the really common ones so don't sweat it i'd say. I asked my other friends and I don't really recall anyone saying they had really detailed weird viruses on the test.