Visa and loans

Started by start1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

start1

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to get advice from anyone on J1 visa/people that know others on a J1

Is it possible to get financing/car loan from bank for e.g 3 years if you're on a J1 visa which is only for 1 year
I have just started a 3 year residency in IM, but visa is only 1 year
I was told that because the visa is only valid for 1 year, I might not be able to get loans
 
I wanted to get advice from anyone on J1 visa/people that know others on a J1

Is it possible to get financing/car loan from bank for e.g 3 years if you're on a J1 visa which is only for 1 year
I have just started a 3 year residency in IM, but visa is only 1 year
I was told that because the visa is only valid for 1 year, I might not be able to get loans
You'll need a visa that equal or exceeds the length of the loan
 
Is it possible to get financing/car loan from bank for e.g 3 years if you're on a J1 visa which is only for 1 year
I have just started a 3 year residency in IM, but visa is only 1 year
I was told that because the visa is only valid for 1 year, I might not be able to get loans

You'll need a visa that equal or exceeds the length of the loan

You can. Dealerships will quote sky-high rates claiming security reasons due to the visa. I don't know if banks work differently from credit unions but it is very possible. You may need to shop around.