Visa for Australians Matching in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teehees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those Australian citizens who have matched in the US or are applying, are we able to get a J-1 visa for IM residencies? Or is it only H1-B?

I've heard you require a statement of need from the department of health of your home country in order to be issued with a J1.

If thats the case I'm not sure if thats something Australia issues easily? If not, does that leave us with only H1B options?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So for those Australian citizens who have matched in the US or are applying, are we able to get a J-1 visa for IM residencies? Or is it only H1-B?

I've heard you require a statement of need from the department of health of your home country in order to be issued with a J1.

If thats the case I'm not sure if thats something Australia issues easily? If not, does that leave us with only H1B options?
At least from what I have seen (by looking at the websites of the residencies I'm interested in), it depends on the specific residency. It really varies by residency, at least from what I've seen.

Thanks for the reply

I know some programs offer h1, others j1 and some both. That isn't my question though - after your employer sponsors you for j1 you need to get a statement of need from the health dept. I'm asking if thats doable/anyone's got that before from Australia

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I've got my answer, it looks like it should be ok for anyone else searching