SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Visa'a for electives in US/Canada

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by medgirl20, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. medgirl20

    medgirl20 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Mar 22, 2005
    Can anyone who's done US/Canadian electives tell me if/what type of visa they needed so confused looking at the embassy website not sure if holiday visa is sufficent as not being paid and their student visas all seem to be for long term studying rather than for a month.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. leorl

    leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

    Jan 2, 2001
    I think you can use a normal J1 visa (summer "working" visa), but not quite sure. You might want to double check on that.
  4. dr.op

    dr.op Junior Member 7+ Year Member

    Aug 9, 2006
    I just went on the Visa Waiver. Some universities require you to organise a more formal visa, but they'll let you know (usually it is on their websites)
  5. medgirl20

    medgirl20 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks I thought you could go on the visa waiver don't want to end up being deported though
  6. Trinners

    Trinners Universitas Dubliniensis 10+ Year Member

    May 27, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have an EU passport and I did 2 electives in the US and went on the Visa Waiver both times. At Immigration when they ask you the purpose of your visit...just say "vacation". Saying you're doing an elective (albeit unpaid) will probably cause unnecessary problems. Once you don't stay more than 90 days, don't get in trouble or try to take up'll be fine :)

    Best of luck :)

Share This Page